Boss hog.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you have the time and space to watch them the rest will follow the lead sow. It does not take long to figure out usually. It's harder to tell when the are feeding in one spot but if you catch them on the move its pretty obvious. She would be the one they are all following!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's what I did at first also! But then I figured out there was a "boss hog!"

Not only did killing this sow give me more shots initially due to the confusion. It also left a lower level not as smart hog in charge which made future kill's more likely!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess I would have to be smarter than a hog to figure them out. I think that's why I don't like horses.

Lol you seem pretty smart to a redneck like me!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have seen a 120 sow leading a sounder of 9, with a couple of 200lb+ boar hogs in it. During feeding,she seems NOT to be dominant. However,when moving everybody seems to follow her. When she stops,they stop. When she goes,they go. I do not think it even matters if they are her offspring or not. --- pruhdlr

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have seen a 120 sow leading a sounder of 9, with a couple of 200lb+ boar hogs in it. During feeding,she seems NOT to be dominant. However,when moving everybody seems to follow her. When she stops,they stop. When she goes,they go. I do not think it even matters if they are her offspring or not. --- pruhdlr

01010001020201041220080419c2f58e2eb.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is too damn funny!

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
When a sounder comes into the area around my big stock tank or one of the feeders that have been pressured,
the dominant sow and her hierarchy will usually slow down or stop near the edge of the opening but still behind cover and send in a few pawns.
Usually, a few minutes after the little ones come in, the bigger pigs will ease into view.

It's sometimes hard to watch the little ones eating away and not give them a dirt nap.

Like already said, the dominant one usually shows her hand as soon as they come in, group up and things calm down a little.
That extra few minutes of patients on my part has paid off well.
I try to take out the dominant ones first, then go for size.
And when the leader goes down, they usually run in circles for a few seconds looking for a leader, ANY leader, until somebody takes off.

On one dark night a while back, after I shot the dominant female and her second in command, the rest of the sounder just headed directly away from me in a straight line.
It went by so fast but when I play it back in my mind, it was like one of those helicopter hunts where you just start at one end the line and start dropping hogs.
That was the only time I have ever done a mag dump on a 6.8 - OK, you got me, it was ONLY a 10 rounder

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I always go for the mama hog first. The little ones just do not know what to do and that gives me the opportunity to boost my kill count.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
See we do the opposite here as we are not trying to exterminate. I try not to shoot large sows and only shoats 50+ pounds, no piglets, boars are OK and not more than we want to clean and eat. I would like to have the opportunity to kill at will and as many as I had ammo for...not gonna happen at my lease.

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I know what you are saying Frank.

I've been taking one or two as requested by friends and folks in need here and there, mostly.
I am hunting on my farm that's been in the family since 1829.
Only answer to myself and have been over run by them off and on.
They rip up hay fields, open fields and some woods areas.
It's been a pretty long time since I tore into a sounder like this also.

This sounder was just getting too big AND smart...
I just dumbed it down for easier "future harvest" for folks....

Now if I could just train them to root up mesquites.....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You bet, get them to root up mesquites and things you don't want would make them a good thing and not a plague. I am sure IF it was my land I would eradicate as have done for farmers around here, it would be a different mind set off the pine forest land we lease.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The lead sow will have her head up more than down. She will constantly check the wind and look around. VERY ALERT!