Bosque County Coyote w/VLD-Hunting

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

It took me a long time to find this fellow. I had to go back and review the video to recall correctly which tree he was behind. I lined on on the wrong landmark (from memory) and searched the wrong area first. Errrrr!

Once I lined up on the correct landmarks, recovery was quick. Unfortunately, the coyote was still alive and I had to finish him off with a second shot.

The Berger VLD-Hunting round impacted a tad low and left of my POA and went through the right shoulder blade, top of the ribs, through the spine (paralyzing the coyote), and through the top of the left side ribs and exited behind the right shoulder blade. I thought this was interesting - the exit wound was about the size of a nickel but under the skin, the tear through the muscle was about 1.5" and seemed very large given the size of the animal. However, there was actually very little blood around the coyote and before the finishing shot, no blood seen around the mouth, indicating that the lungs were not involved. Damage was primarily to just the skin, muscle, and spine.

It was a decent-sized yote and the landowner will undoubtedly be happy when he gets the news.

I am about out of the VLD-Hunting rounds. I have some new, experimental Hornady GMX rounds that have been cut down to 94 grs. that I hope to try next week.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for sharing the video.

I enjoy your necropsy footage. I find it interesting to view the internal damage on your kills.

I've got a 14 month old and I have zero time to reload, so I'm using factory ammo currently. What is your impression of Barnes bullets? I'm not aware of any Berger factory ammo.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think 81Police and TLM are the folks to question about that. I have used them in 5.56 and was pleased, but my experience is limited.

My Berger is factory ammo, loaded by Precision Firearms. They load a variety of bullets and calibers and pride themselves on the high standards of their ammo (which comes at a high price in some cases). My limited experience (100 rounds) with PF is positive.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video ... looking forward to seeing the results with the GMX bullets

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shooting with the gun that goes ping. always interesting to see bullet damage.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice seeing Angry Bird losing his stage fright and helping out again. Nice shot Brian.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shot on that one Brian.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice. i'd like to see you eat the liver next time
I was wondering the same thing...how come you never eat the liver.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With some Fava beans

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hear that

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, after spending time with the Eskimo and eating a lot of seal liver, one grows tired of eating liver.
My time with the Inuit I just got tired of eating blubber you chew and chew and what do you have a mouth full of blubber. Might enjoy some seal liver. .......

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My time with the Inuit I just got tired of eating blubber you chew and chew and what do you have a mouth full of blubber. Might enjoy some seal liver. .......
You've tasted "Muktuk", have ya? Was it Bowhead (Black Skin), or Beluga (White Skin)? Gotta dip it in Seal Oil (Eskimo Ketchup) when you eat it.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hear that