Bobcat

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think I have a Bobcat. I have seen track over the last week since we have had a lot of rain. Would also explain where all the rabbits that live in the woods behind my house have disappeared. I was on my daily walk this afternoon when I saw this. I pretty sure it is a Bobcat track and I found some scat the ants and beetles were trying to carry off. Tell me what you think. I have set up camera today and will wait to see what I have.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nope no claw marks have more pictures notice the pad has two lobes and in between is not very deep like a canine.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nope no claw marks have more pictures notice the pad has two lobes and in between is not very deep like a canine.

I am not a tracker and have to look at these sorts of things with guide books, but this is what I see...

Those are claw marks in front of each pad (top image), or you have the weirdest coincidence of claw-like depressions I have seen where nowhere else in the image are there little divots like that. Two or three of which look triangularly pointed. You have 4 pads and 4 divots. Those are claw marks. In the bottom image, you have 3 good divots in front of the toe pads. Those are claw strikes as well.

The question is if it could be canine or feline. So let's see your other images. Are they with this same print or elsewhere on the property? You may have more than one critter.

The heel pad is more strike looks more triangular than on a bobcat and the toe pad strikes are more like you see with a canine than you see with a feline. The feline pads tend to spread more like a flattened rainbow. That the center two claw strikes are 'pigeon-toed' looks more coyote than domestic dog as well.

It looks like coyote.

With that said, I am sure somebody with real experience will come up with better explanations, but I think Frank is on the proverbial right track in suggesting coyote.

BTW, are those persimmon seeds in the scat? Coyotes, more so than bobcats, will be inclined to eat fruits. I would suggest that the scat is not bobcat.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian, you always say it much better than I, May I start sending you all my replies for a rewrite before I post them? Thanks in advance!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will post more pictures in the am been a long day still do not see claw marks on other pictures. Will,advise. Unless we have more rain I,will use my macro lens to get really close.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will have to say coyote see how the front ads are together, and you can see where the claws hit the surface.
download (1).jpg

Bobcat in the mud see how the front pads are spread out and no claws are visible even in soft mud.
bobcattracks11809.jpg

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will have to say coyote see how the front ads are together, and you can see where the claws hit the surface.
View attachment 1513

Bobcat in the mud see how the front pads are spread out and no claws are visible even in soft mud.
View attachment 1514
I will have more pictures will break,out the macro lens what did you think of the scat. Does not look like dog is yote different? Always thankful for yor input.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm seeing seeds and berries in that scat. Not usually on bobcat menu. And like others have pointed out there are 4 marks above the pad prints too much of a coincidence, plus it is more pointy/elongated than a cats. But I could be wrong, would not be the first time. Best thing to do is call it in and kill it. Then we know for sure:cool::D

ETA As you pointed out the scat has been broken up by critters. Can't really tell original shape.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have you found the yote that made the tracks yet?

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nope had cam out ever since I saw track. Even put out some bait still nothing. Lots of deer but that's it.

Eric Mayer

Good information so far. You will sometimes find scratch, or scrape marks around bobcat scat. Were there more prints? If so, what did the prints look like? If they were in a straight line, like the picture below, it is definitely a coyote:

Snowy-Field-Coyote-Prints.jpg

Eric :cool:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Two weeks ago found some more scat and better tracks it is a yote.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok, now to call it in!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well,it is a big bobcat or cougar? Looks to tall for bobcat?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like a bob tail to me

Chris

LSB Member
I sure hope i cross paths with him again.....would like to make a nice little bob rug with him

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter