Bobcat, 2 pigs, and lookin for tall crop hunting pointers.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
4000 acres. West is 2 big resprvoirs and the lodge. Middle is woods. East is crops (rice on SE and a cut field on NE).

I got set up before dark. Hunting the road that separates the woods from the rice (Almost 1.5 miles or dirt road from S to N of property dividing woods from crops). I was actually standing/pacing around when I turned and saw a bobcat walking by the back of my truck at 15 yds. Elusive my @$$!. He was going to check out the empty buckets of soured corn in the back of my truck walking down the middle of a dirt road. we saw each other at about the same time. He froze for a second and then started trotting always to get behind my truck and behind cover as I drew up the rifle. Got the shot off before my truck was in view in the thermal. Aimed a couple inches high bc he was so close. Low shoulder impact. Drt. DVR came on about 3 seconds later so I only have a short vid of cat laying there after being shot.
Then two other guys who were setting up deer blinds roll up and wanted to play with the gear. This is when two hogs cut across the road from the woods across the ditch, across the easement ms into the tall rice. I jumped up into the back of my truck to see them in the tall rice and hit one. They both ran. Aimed at the lead pig that hadn't been hit and the already shot pig cuts an angle in front of the not hit one as I squeeze off a round. 2nd hit heard. Injured Pig drops. free standing in the back of my truck tripping all over buckets and junk in the bed of the truck, I take a few shots missing at the remaining pig that's disappearing into the rice the further he gets. Shoulda been 2 down but wasn't prepared due to the new friends I made at an inconvenient time. Oh well they were cool guys.
Saw a few other hogs briefly moving through the rice but couldn't get a shot bc it's too tall and they disappear pretty quick moving through it (help with a plan here??).

Later I heard pigs in the woods behind means scanned with thermal. There was a piglet standing frozen about 15 yards into the tree line. Then.. there was a piglet laying splattered in the woods behind me drt. I also killed probably a few hundred Mosquitos.

My problem is that I can't get the pigs to stop and eat. They just cut through the woods real quick and bolt into the rice or vice versa so if I'm not looking through the scope down the road rihht when they walk out, I won't really see them. And I have to be standing in the back of my truck to see even 100-150 yds into the rice. I baited the cut field with soured corn. Baited the easement between the rice and the ditch. Pigs not interested in soured corn right now. Corn rice other crops all around this property. Thinkin I should get a tall stand in a tree off the road/tree line looking into the rice for better elevation. But I'd rather be able to sit in the middle of the road between the two fields and scan both sides so if I need to drive down a half mile to get set up for a shot, it won't take too long and make too much noise. Thoughts? Suggestions on how to get these pigs to stop and eat for a second so I can kill more of them at a time and see more of them cutting across the property under cover??

Last edited:

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Park truck close to areas they frequent. I used to hunt off the top of my suburban all the time. Also invest in a monocular. Get an external battery pack and don't power down.

It's hunting man.

Keep after them.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Put out some rice.....with butter of course!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good cat down! Looks like a good place for hogs! Happy hunting