Boar Single & Pulsar Thermion XM50

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No video this time. :mad: I have been hunting with a Pulsar Thermion XM50, 5.5x, 320 resolution, 12 micron thermal weapon sight for a few weeks now and It seems to do fairly well. The Thermions currently do not have audio and as I have discovered for the 4th time now, there is a glitch in video recording firmware. Every so often, apparently randomly, the video will fail to record, simply creating a 1 kb file with no content. I have spoken with the tech guru at Sellmark (Jonathan) who tells me that Pulsar is aware of the issue and it will be resolved with the new firmware update that will also bring audio to the Thermion. However, when that is supposed to happen isn't yet known.

So on this hunt, I was at my place in Forestburg. There were fresh tracks over the rain-patterned dirt around the feeders, the rain having happened the previous afternoon, so I decided to stay and see if the hog(s?) was coming in at a reasonable hour. Less than 3 hours into my wait, this nice boar came in. Prior to that time, I had gotten B-roll video of deer and raccoons going about their business of raiding the feeders. The deer disappeared and the raccoons went on alert just before the boar showed up. So I knew something was going to happen.

I pressed the record button on the scope and the orange indicator came on in the corner and I watched the boar cross in front of me at about 60 yards or so, where he came to a stop for a good 30 seconds, just taking in his surroundings. I had hoped to get some better video than mostly just that of a boar standing still, but the opportunity was too good and I took my shot. The boar went down, no problem. When I went to turn off the record function, I noticed the timer was NOT running. That did not bode well and sure enough, I later discovered another 1kb file. ERRRRR!

Nice boar, 180 lbs, wet and mud-slimy from being in the neighbor's pond.

20190707_225324.jpg

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice boar! Looks like good shot placement. I like the broadside stationary shots!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
As a not so expert marksman, I sure like it when the hogs make it easy on me. After all, we're not trying to make it a fair fight, are we?

Keep After 'Em!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A good tale reads nearly as good as a good video watches. A well told tale is even "more gooder". Well told Kemosabe... well shot hog. Do it again ! But, AB needs to make a cameo from time to time. Time to bake the cookies.