BLC-2

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I worked up a load for my Remmy 700 .223 varmint rifle using BLC-2 powder.

Remington brass trim length 1.750"
Bullet: Hornady 55gr V-max
Col, 2.355"
Powder: H-BLC2--26.5gr.
Primer: Rem 71/2

5 shots at 100 yards
Bench rest using sand bags.

I think this is close enough for me.
Note. This rifle is not bedded. I am going to do that and see if the groups tighten up.

PIC_0013.JPG
I think the vertical climbing might be due to rifle not being bedded.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The loose nut behind the trigger appears to be tuned. Nice grouping.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice grouping! Vertical stringing can be a barrel bedding issue, but that is rare in a gun that shoots a group like that. I would add .1-.3 grains of powder and see if that doesn't suck it up tight. Most of the time vertical stringing is a load begging to go just a tiny bit faster. Now if all of your loads have the same vertical stringing, take a business card, fold it in half and slide it between the barrel and stock, make sure to get it ~3/4" to 1" into the stock and has good tension, remove and add a fold if needed. Sometimes loosing up the stock screws a few turns, adding the business card, then retightening is needed. This will tell you if bedding the barrel will do you any good, and its a hell of a lot cheaper than epoxy and a smith. I have "bedded" a few dozen rifles like this on the range, then take them to my smith and he will do something permanent that matches the tension I have found to work. Its the most accurate way I have found of bedding a barrel, but it requires a VERY good smith to interpret the number of folds in a business card into epoxy.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Some years ago when I was shooting a 24" AR for yotes,my gun(223Rem chamber;1:7 twist)absolutely loved the BL-C(2). I used both the 50 and 52gr bullets of the Nosler,Sierra,and Speer variety.

If this is a heavy bbl'ed rifle,bedding might not help.....HOWEVER.....floating of the bbl just might. Also,sometimes you can shrink a 100yd group by as much as 1/2 inch simply by having a great trigger(all else being equal. Of course the better the initial group...the less you will shrink it.

Personally....I would shoot 5 groups of 5 shots,allowing your bbl to cool in between,and if you got a aggregate of .750" .....heck,I could live with that. That's minute of critter all the way out to as far as your gonna get out of any 223Rem. --- pruhdlr

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The barrel on this shooter is floated so that's a non issue. I am happy with this because I can't shoot anywhere near this good in the field. I just want minute of hog eye accuracy for hunting from a blind. I use the 6.8 for hunting on foot.