Big Coyote and Hogs

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went back to Elk Springs Ranch to do some hog hunting. The day hunter, Reed, was there when I arrived and he had been cruising the property and had not seen anything but rooting. So I camped out at my favorite spot, which was replete with new rooting, and waited. After 4 hours of watching coons, dillos, and flying squirrels, I called it a night and headed back up to the top of the escarpment to exit. I stopped 200 yards short of a field where I had seen hogs previously and got out and hiked into the field. No hogs, but did see my first coyote out in the open. Previously, I had called in two coyotes and both were call-shy and stayed well within the treeline while circling the caller and I never had a shot. So I didn't attempt to call this one at all as he was just out in the open...

I moved on to my new property. This was my third visit and for the third time, hogs were present as were the ever-bothersome yearling cattle. The video glitches as I am tracking on a running hog. This is because of the present recording time on the DVR. I had the DVR running for a half hour as I made my stalk and 30 minutes was the limit on the recording time. So the DVR saves the file and starts recording a new one and that is where the glitch occurs.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun night there Brian. Good chootin

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Whew! Anyone who things hogs aren't a problem should watch your vids.

You seem to find plenty of targets. Keep After 'Em!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hogs down! I'll have to remember the head lamp trick when cattle are approaching. Last time I was trying to stalk hogs I walked through a field where cows are bedded down and hanging and they started running all over the place. Luckily I didn't get trampled. Lol