Better tasting boar hogs

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've only been on the forum for a couple of days. I've seen quite a few boar hogs that folks are getting ready to butcher, either in the truck, on the scale, or maybe a single tree. I have yet to see one that has had his penis and testicles removed to put it bluntly. The first thing I do when I've killed a boar is get my knife out and grabbing the penil sheath, start skinning it back from the belly, being careful not to get into the gut sack Take the skin all the way back and around the testicles and when everything is exposed remove them as close to the anus as possible. Then I worry about getting him loaded and transported back somewhere to butcher.

I've always been told and believe that it reduces the "game-iness" of a boar hog. Also soaking the meat in ice and grapefruit juice or sour orange juice also for a period of time. I've even heard of substituting apple vinegar. I've had some that had a slight odor when cooking, but nothing that didn't taste great.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Since I don't gut, I don't touch their penis either. I remove the hams, straps and front quarters and anything else I want...then:

This is what I do, never had a gamey tasting hog

http://lonestarboars.com/threads/brine-your-wild-game.274/#post-3488

Been asked to post this so always willing to accommodate here goes. Deer, Hog and Turkey I have done this on. My wife is not a fan of wild game taste. I process most my own meat, if I want sausage I brine it at home and then take to the processor.

Butcher the animal, place in ice chest, add salt water to cover, Ice it and depending on your cooler keep it as cold and add ice while letting the liquid flow around the meat..I keep quite a few frozen plastic bottle and this helps preserve the ice longer.

Salt brine is 1 cup salt, Sea or Kosher preferred, per gallon of water, after 24 hrs dump the water save the ice and repeat and leave in brine for 2-4 more days in this step you can half the salt if you want to. Take out, wash off trim, clean and vacuum seal.

This will take out smells and tastes of wild animals but not add salt to the meat. You can for flavor after the first draining add 1 cup or more pineapple/apple/lemon or whatever flavor you would like to add or nothing. Good luck Frank