• Gen3 scope and thermal spotter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen3 scope gen 3 spotter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JeremyV

LSB Member
Pretty similar experiences. I still have two PVS 14's, but if they get used its more often on back up rifles so I can loan one to a landowner or extra hunting bud. I have two primary night hunting buds, one is fully NV and thermal equipped, the other can't afford it right now and uses my son's set up if he isn't hunting with us, a NV equipped rifle if he is. I have been debating trading out my two PVS 14's and Pulsar HD 50S, which is the second to my MK II, for an Envis to maintain some NV for navigation and a REAP-IR. But every time I turn on the HD 50S I am re-impressed and re- realize it really is all the scope any hunter needs. I use a 19A for a spotter currently.

BTW if you need to press a third rifle into service, a PVS 14 on a rifle with a USGI 3x magnifier, no red dot or EOTech but an IR laser makes for a very decent rig. The two rifles I can press into service have have QD mounts for the red dot and EOTech respectively, and I cowitness the laser to them, then take off the red dot/EOTech and screw on the 3x. I'm using LaserMax IR lasers, and they are fine for the purpose. I mount them in front of the forward BUIS, which gives them some protection from being bumped on in the field or in the case.

Something Jeremy hasn't read yet on LSBs that bears mentioning is that it isn't unusual for the smoke from firing a shot to blind NV until the shooter moves or wind does the trick, and its a given if IR light is being used. Doesn't make that big of a deal shooting single critters, but when there are more than one target it sure does. I'm not sure if it would be an issue using a helmet mount and laser though.

JPK

JeremyV

LSB Member
Pretty similar experiences. I still have two PVS 14's, but if they get used its more often on back up rifles so I can loan one to a landowner or extra hunting bud. I have two primary night hunting buds, one is fully NV and thermal equipped, the other can't afford it right now and uses my son's set up if he isn't hunting with us, a NV equipped rifle if he is. I have been debating trading out my two PVS 14's and Pulsar HD 50S, which is the second to my MK II, for an Envis to maintain some NV for navigation and a REAP-IR. But every time I turn on the HD 50S I am re-impressed and re- realize it really is all the scope any hunter needs. I use a 19A for a spotter currently.

BTW if you need to press a third rifle into service, a PVS 14 on a rifle with a USGI 3x magnifier, no red dot or EOTech but an IR laser makes for a very decent rig. The two rifles I can press into service have have QD mounts for the red dot and EOTech respectively, and I cowitness the laser to them, then take off the red dot/EOTech and screw on the 3x. I'm using LaserMax IR lasers, and they are fine for the purpose. I mount them in front of the forward BUIS, which gives them some protection from being bumped on in the field or in the case.

Something Jeremy hasn't read yet on LSBs that bears mentioning is that it isn't unusual for the smoke from firing a shot to blind NV until the shooter moves or wind does the trick, and its a given if IR light is being used. Doesn't make that big of a deal shooting single critters, but when there are more than one target it sure does. I'm not sure if it would be an issue using a helmet mount and laser though.

JPK
As you can see from my pistol video I'm used to taking a lot of shots through nightvision both pistol and rifle. The only time I really have an issue is with IR light turned on. Doesn't seem to make a difference weather the pvs14 is on the gun or helmet mounted. On a side note I have noticed in fog my laser sucks but looking through the 14 and my red dot works fine.
I'm excited about not losing sight of my target from muzzle flash with the thermal.
The autogated gen 3 does a good job but I still lose sight for a second.