Berger VLD-Hunting Hog #6 - Pregnant Sow

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

I had been after this sounder for a couple of weeks and ended up getting the previous 270 lb boar that had been following them around. However, they often varied their times at the feeder, showing up as early in the evening as 20:30 hrs. or as late in the morning as 05:45.

This little sounder had as many as 12-14 hogs in it, all females as near as I could tell and all or nearly all were pregnant. Several have disappeared from the group and the last few days, only 6 have been coming.

I missed an opportunity to shoot one of the really large (comparatively speaking) sows, thinking they would eventually make their way to the feeder, but they just left.

Later, two of their smaller members showed up and then also tried to leave. I learned my lesson on the first group, thank you very much. I don't know why I play this game. Is it better to shoot a good target(s) when you have it or to wait it out for something better. I feel smart when I wait it out and it turns out well for me. I feel pretty stupid when I wait it out and then go home empty handed. So I got a bit of a reprieve this evening.

I butchered the hog to see what damage the Berger VLD-Hunting did. I will put together a brief video on that and post it later. The bullet performed impressively.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good seeing Angry Bird back in the saddle and helping drag hogs. Congrats on anchoring that heavy loaded sow.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Brian!
My first hunt in over a month...maybe two, this morning. Caught 5 hogs in middle of large pasture...had to walk directly at them trying to reach them before daylight. I got busted at about 150 yds and unloaded 6.8 at them on the move to the tree line. No recovery, not sure if I hit any. Wasted opportunity!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ever figure out what they were sniffing out!?
Good shooting

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ever figure out what they were sniffing out!?
Good shooting

Ed, I walked around to that area. That is actually the direction I drove in from to collect the hog. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary to me, but I don't have their senses, of course. No dogs appear to have been around. No big cats. Nobody else was hunting on the property. Whatever it was didn't seem to concern the raccoons.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job, great videos! Hindsight will drive you crazy if you allow it.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice videos! I might have to try Berger bullets at some point.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice. Good stuff