Back up 336 scope

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah........another "I want a second thermal" to back up the 640 75 Zeus thread from Taco. Deal with it folks.....or not. Send me hateful PMs it's fine.

Taco is pretty ready to buy. This will be an armasight product. Taco after much deliberation thinks he only needs 336. This will go on a 300wtf for shots inside 100 yards, usually 60-70. 30hz.

Question:

Predator......or is it worth the extra cash to go with a Zeus 42mm 336? I'm thinking predator is gonna do fine.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I liked mine. Now my daughter likes it, but I have not looked through the other but price is a big thing there also. Thinking about getting another one just because my safe feels naked without one in there!!! BANG BANG!!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Aren't the 336 42mm Zeus going for about $500 more than the predator now??
With all due respect I mean that in a hateful way ;)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If so go w the larger lens

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know offhand what the Pulsar scopes are running, but I'd be taking a hard look at them if I were in the market for a backup sdcope to my Zeus 640. The HD38 spotter that I got from Aaron has an incredible image for the price. I'm hearign that Pulsar is just kicking ass with their backend image processing techie stuff.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Anyone shot a pulsar apex38 and can compare to a 336 Zeus 42mm? Thanks.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anyone shot a pulsar apex38 and can compare to a 336 Zeus 42mm? Thanks.

I have. The Pulsar 38 is a nice scope for the money. On boot up the scope displays a 1.5x picture, with the digital zoom you can easily identify targets inside 100 yards.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Zeus 336 42mm is worth the extra $500 over the predator. You get a little more magnification and ability to focus. I haven't used the Apex 38 but I've used the handheld 38, I forget the name, and in my opinion the armasight has the better picture. Plus I don't think the pulsars have a QD mount. And that alone drives me nuts. I like the ability to take it on and off and remain zeroed. And this being a back up scope, I'm willing to bet you'll probably use it as a scanner or leave it off the gun unless needed.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Fwiw, Ultimate Night Vision has a DLoc QD mount for the Pulsar thermal scopes. You can get one through ******** at Third Coast, I believe. It ain't cheap at $179 list though.

JPK

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fwiw, Ultimate Night Vision has a DLoc QD mount for the Pulsar thermal scopes. You can get one through ******** at Third Coast, I believe. It ain't cheap at $179 list though.

JPK
Well that's good to know. $179 isn't bad though. That's about what the American defense mounts run that I use on all my scopes.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I guess the idea of spending relatively big bucks for a thermal and then having to add a mount makes the price seem high. I did get one for my Pulsar HD 50 though.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have to agree, Pulsar needs to upgrade their Apex mounts why even have multi POI settings when the mount isn't really good enough to be moving rifle to rifle. The Apex DLOC mount would be a must have for me with the APEX scopes.

We have been shooting with the Zeus 336 42mm the last couple of months it's been a solid model for us. Always holds POI rifle to rifle and being detached after every hunt. The Apex will have a touch more clarity but the Zeus has a better housing to me.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have to agree, Pulsar needs to upgrade their Apex mounts why even have multi POI settings when the mount isn't really good enough to be moving rifle to rifle. The Apex DLOC mount would be a must have for me with the APEX scopes.

We have been shooting with the Zeus 336 42mm the last couple of months it's been a solid model for us. Always holds POI rifle to rifle and being detached after every hunt. The Apex will have a touch more clarity but the Zeus has a better housing to me.
Yeah pretty much my thinking. I'm not a fan of the apex housing or the battery life. The mount is a joke on a unit that cost that much.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Terry do you have any video of the 336 42? I'd like to see it. It's been awhile but I'm the op and have a 640 75 but want a back up scope. Cheers bros.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Terry do you have any video of the 336 42? I'd like to see it. It's been awhile but I'm the op and have a 640 75 but want a back up scope. Cheers bros.
If he doesn't have video from it I can get you video from ours.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've had the apex 38, the zeus 75 336 and the prometheus 42 336. I like the armasight products better. I did use the UNV riser combined with a larue acog mount for qd capability on the apex. My buddy I sold it to is still running it that way. It's a good setup but much prefer the american armament that comes with the zeus.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I haven't shot any video with Zeus 336 personally. I have the cables and DVR though so I guess I need too. To me the video never looks as good as what you see in person.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We have several guys along the OK border running the 336 42 60 and they love them

young guys and GREAT photographers. Maybe not Todd great, but great.

They don't feel handicapped at all by the lower performance. They stack'em high..