ATN Thor DVR recommendations

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for you, I hope yours will be a better priced unit, I may even get one from you for future needs!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In the UNV MDVR what I didn't like is the auto start recording rocker switch. The Lawmate uses a two button, one for power on, one for record. These will have a one button, flush, press once on, then say you are watching hogs for awhile, then press it again and will start

In my opinion that was one of the best options the mdvr has going for it. Anything requiring you to hit more than one button or a button more than once is a step in the wrong direction. How can you not like an auto on auto record switch??? You are not wasting disk space or battery since it does not turn on or record until you hit the button. Now it sounds like you will have to turn it on then hit record. If that is so this unit will be a no go for me at least with the lawmate you can make it instant record when you hit the power button.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Easy answer, how many times have you accidentally recorded? A Bet a few. I've done it numerous times. In my case, while handling the gun, etc.

This is still a simple operation and I may be able to have it changed, still working on that. What I like is it will be a flush button, that's the main issue I have with the mdvr.

To have to hit the button twice, come on, harder to turn in the scope than it is to record. I agree though, I do like things simple, so I'll work in it and see if it's possible. Most of this type of full HD DVR's are configured a certain way, I'm just trying to fine tune a product and keep it affordable.

I'm also trying to cut the cost even further. When you jump up to true HD DVR, it almost doubles the price. The good thing, it has that annoying buzzing sounds when it comes on lol, just like the mdvr and lawmate.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Easy answer, how many times have you accidentally recorded? A Bet a few. I've done it numerous times. In my case, while handling the gun, etc.

I have not turned it off once or twice but easily noticed the lights in the dark. But I have forgot to hit record or had someone else forget to hit record more times than I care to think of. For me instant on record is the best.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yea I think it's a habit, I was on a big hog tonight, just walking with my truck running. I hit the button to turn in the Lawmate, but record, red light not in, what? Didn't have it plugged in lol. I'm usually anal about it. But when I out the gun in the case, I disconnect cable from zeus.

Long story on the hog. 120 SST hit like a hammer, thwack, hog keeps walking like it wasn't even hit. 90 % humidity and 120 yards and it for behind stuff, couldn't get a shot.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
May be scrapping my dvr for now. Thought I could get them to fake the analog input to record at higher resolution, wouldn't really be true HD, but I was trying to get away from D1 video.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is disappointing Dave, I had great hopes for you.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Still going to test a unit. I think maybe the solution is horizontal lines, TVL. Since all these thermal scopes have an analog output, the resolution is limited in what you can do. Not that you need much more, for what we do with it. Trying to overcome a few things.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
need lvds output but recording lossless video is not something video industry wants do to piracy
try and find hd home dvr without subscription service
easy to make but blocked by DMCA asswipes
best hd dvr is marketed as gaming capture device to bypass the asswipes

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yea, seems like there is some sort of control over this, kind of like oil prices.

The issue we have, you also, since your have a zeus, is horizontal lines in the video.

I believe it is only Armasight with this problem. If you watch videos on youtube, the Thor, IR Hunter, RS, don't have lines in their video when connected to the mdvr.

I bought a Lawmate, no lines, yet I believe it still records 720x480 NTSC same as the mdvr for the analog camera input. But somehow it renders the signal different? TVL? Not sure.

I'm going to try this new dvr, need to find something with better affordability than the Lawmate, which I unfortunately found out doesn't have a built in mic.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Has anyone tried the X-DVR-XP by Raytheon from SPI? What is the cost?

Haven't tried one Ken, I've looked at it previously on the web, two issues, I believe it does not record audio, and no option to add a microphone and the other issues are size and price.

Ken

I thought the price would be up there beyond my reach. I opted for the Sightmark CVR640. I will be going on a ThOR-336 9x-36x (60Hz).