ATN Thor DVR recommendations

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
looking for a DVR for my ATN Thor, want to get audio and video. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I personally prefer the MDVR from ultimate night vision.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
how about a smart phone connection they sell?

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
image.jpg
Anybody tried this one.... I've used the mdvr on a flir T-50... Didn't care for it. Screen cracked, lots of LEDs and kept shutting down.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Really I'm pretty hard on equipment and have two mdvr a that I use almost weekly no cracked screen and I face the LEDs towards me lets me know it's working right with no noise. Did you mount it in the case?

I have not used the sight mark but have used three different lawmates and four angel eyes. All the angel eyes broke fast one lawmate will not record now. I don't think these things are built for recoil. If you broke the Mdvr screen you will break any of them with a screen.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was in the soft case... Other issue was I had to have a custom cable made for the flir T50....and that caused it to Record all images (90 degrees offset) sideways. Was no way to change it... It still works, have to try it on the thor and see what happens

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You can change the 90 degree offset (rotate?) with Windows movie maker quite easily, FYI.

TLM, I have managed to break a MDVR screen. The unit still records. I just can see to change any of the settings.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It will work on the thor that is what UNV uses to record all his video with. That's interest about the T50do not know how to fix that. The screen sounds like bad luck I've started using velcro and LsB patches as an extra protective layer over my screen also limits light pollution.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you put a phone screen protector on the screen it probably will not break...just an idea.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gonna make a kydex holder for it that will mount on thor side picatinny rail ... Let you know how it works out.... Jus got the plug to make a custom length cable... Won't have a bunch of spare cable hanging on it.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You can change the 90 degree offset (rotate?) with Windows movie maker quite easily, FYI.

TLM, I have managed to break a MDVR screen. The unit still records. I just can see to change any of the settings.
Im using a MAC .... Need to dig my old laptop out after I move.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm not saying the screens won't break I'm saying any of the screens will break. That is why I made an extra cover.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The CVR 640 sucks. It's a waste of money. It can't handle any recoil and will break if mounted on the gun rail after shooting it. It doesn't record sound either.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I'm working in a new setup, full HD, will do max 1920x1080, built in microphone for sound, can add external mic, has video in and another camera port and come with that camera in case you want you record your boss at work who is trying to screw you over on your promotion lol. . Will have flush button wired remote so you can't accidentally turn on. Will also have wireless remote. I make the cables to interface to the Thor or Zeus, lower profile. Well be the same size as the mdvr.

Todd, I still have my two cheap Angel Eyes that record audio, still working fine. But they are cheap, get what you pay for lol.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave you are the Man! First an IR light, then a DVR mount now this!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Still need to get your IR or to you Frank, but figured your don't have a scope yet lol.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I certainly hope it is on the way, this year...lol

Did you find the DVR complete or have to put one together from parts?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I had the manufacturer put together as package. All of these DVR's are made in China, including the Lawmate. They wouldn't be affordable otherwise lol. I can even have them make different logos on the box, and like the mdvr, a custom power on screen.

In the UNV MDVR what I didn't like is the auto start recording rocker switch. The Lawmate uses a two button, one for power on, one for record. These will have a one button, flush, press once on, then say you are watching hogs for awhile, then press it again and will start recording. That way you aren't sucking up disk space until ready and aren't accidentally recording.

There is one thing that is hard to do, is have them recoil rated, none are. They will say they may be dust and waterproof, like IP67, but I don't even believe that, but they won't rate as shock proof but say they can withstand a fall from 1.2 meters.

Last edited: