Armasight Zeus pro 100mm vs mklll 60mm

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Exactly what he said

Phil

Thanks for that. Iv used nothing but armasight stuff for years and have been happy with it. But from what a few people say is that the mklll will out perform the Zeus 800 yards and under tremendously. So Im on the Fence

D

djones

a friend has both scopes and i got to check them out when he sighted them in.

first i looked through the ir hunter mark 3 4.5x 60hz. no comparison on image. the ir picture can't be touched. we were shooting metallic tape against a target background and the edges were crisp and clear. i guess that has a lot to do with the 12 micron core. we sighted in at 8x (36 power?) simply because we could. the target was blurry, but it wasn't a shapeless blob like armasight. the menu was neat to play around with, but i don't think id especially care for all the clutter in the sight picture when i'm hunting, but i could probably get used to it.

i went to focus the unit and noticed there wasn’t an external objective focus. i think there is some kind of digital focus in the menu but i didn’t check it out. i don’t think i’d like to have to access it there if i needed it, but perhaps it isn’t needed that much on this scope? another difference is nucing it. you have to close the lens cover or put your hand over it and nuc it through the menu. not as convenient for me as the zeus with auto shutter and push button. then there’s the zoom, also accessed through the menu. in fact everything is done through the menu and turning knob(s). that’s fine for setup features, but things i want to do while i have eyes on my target are much easier with push buttons on the zeus, at least for my type of hunting.

then i checked out the zeus pro 640 100mm 30hz thinking it would be about as good as it gets. and it IS nice, if you don’t mind the size and weight. it blew my zeus 640 75mm 30hz away. often times i can’t seem to quite get focused exactly. i tend to go back and forth with the focus knob trying to ‘bracket’ the clearest spot. this scope was the same way. for precision shooting the extra objective power was nice. i don’t remember all the reticles, but there may have been some i would like to have.

the firmware is certainly robust, but overall there are features that i don’t want or need like a compass. i also don't need my scope recoil rated for 50bmg or water proof rather than resistant. i also like my pull/turn knob over the push button on/off. i may change my mind if i wear it out. i didn't think to compare field of view with the scopes while sighting in, but there may certainly be advantages there for one over the other. when i looked back into my zeus 640, 3x, 75mm however, i just wanted to puke. i kinda wish i hadn't seen what i saw.

Phil

a friend has both scopes and i got to check them out when he sighted them in.

first i looked through the ir hunter mark 3 4.5x 60hz. no comparison on image. the ir picture can't be touched. we were shooting metallic tape against a target background and the edges were crisp and clear. i guess that has a lot to do with the 12 micron core. we sighted in at 8x (36 power?) simply because we could. the target was blurry, but it wasn't a shapeless blob like armasight. the menu was neat to play around with, but i don't think id especially care for all the clutter in the sight picture when i'm hunting, but i could probably get used to it.

i went to focus the unit and noticed there wasn’t an external objective focus. i think there is some kind of digital focus in the menu but i didn’t check it out. i don’t think i’d like to have to access it there if i needed it, but perhaps it isn’t needed that much on this scope? another difference is nucing it. you have to close the lens cover or put your hand over it and nuc it through the menu. not as convenient for me as the zeus with auto shutter and push button. then there’s the zoom, also accessed through the menu. in fact everything is done through the menu and turning knob(s). that’s fine for setup features, but things i want to do while i have eyes on my target are much easier with push buttons on the zeus, at least for my type of hunting.

then i checked out the zeus pro 640 100mm 30hz thinking it would be about as good as it gets. and it IS nice, if you don’t mind the size and weight. it blew my zeus 640 75mm 30hz away. often times i can’t seem to quite get focused exactly. i tend to go back and forth with the focus knob trying to ‘bracket’ the clearest spot. this scope was the same way. for precision shooting the extra objective power was nice. i don’t remember all the reticles, but there may have been some i would like to have.

the firmware is certainly robust, but overall there are features that i don’t want or need like a compass. i also don't need my scope recoil rated for 50bmg or water proof rather than resistant. i also like my pull/turn knob over the push button on/off. i may change my mind if i wear it out. i didn't think to compare field of view with the scopes while sighting in, but there may certainly be advantages there for one over the other. when i looked back into my zeus 640, 3x, 75mm however, i just wanted to puke. i kinda wish i hadn't seen what i saw.
Thanks for all that info! I currently have a Zeus 640 75mm also. It's a nice unit. Seems like a tough choice between the two. So the pro 100 blew your Zeus away? But clarity on mklll was better than pro. So here the tough part... which one would you choose since you looked through both??

D

djones

one more thing... if you want to video your hunt, the ir must have the video out turned on thru the menu each time the unit is power up. it defaults back to off when unit is powered off.

note: it didn't take me long to fall back in love with my zeus 75. i kill my share of stuff with it and don't feel under scoped.

i'm not sure if he was using the latest firmware. that could make a difference.

if money matters, i think the zeus was over a grand more. if you're spending 10k on a scope, another thousand may not matter much.

if you want the absolute clearest picture, the ir is absolutely stunning. somebody had a vid of a beaver swimming in a pond and you could clearly see the ripples in the water.

i drive around and check fields with my rifle. then i sling it and stalk within range. light weight is nice, but i didn't think my ar10 was heavy until i slung an ar15. so i guess i'm saying there may not be a wrong choice.

i bet those who hunt with the ir don't mind the menu driven adjustments. you could probably get very fast with practice. both units seemed to be built like a tank, but perhaps customer service could make the difference? maybe new models coming out with new ownership will address shortcomings in both models?

some folks here are having focus problems with their ir scopes, but i don't recall how it turned out. cust support could also be a big question with new ownership.

i don't think i could pick but if i HAD to, i'd say it's like choosing a favorite girlfriend. if they both had what i was looking for, then i'd pick the one that was least bitchy. actually, that's probably the best choice even if she isn't quite as attractive.

JPK

LSB Active Member
You do get used to the knobs and accessing feature through the menu with the IRD units. I do wish NUC and zoom were on the first menu, together. NUC is a quick one hand operation once you get used to it.

The menu info goes away after a short time if you don't fiddle with the knobs and reappears again when you turn one.

The IRD units beg for the UNV remote rechargeable battery pack because they need such frequent NUCing the first 30 minutes and then not too often, leaving them on all night lets them stay warmed up and stable. The UNV battery pack solves the video on/off issue as well.

IMO, 4 or 4.5x native magnification is too much, with too little FOV, but your use may be different.

JPK

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have the MKIII 35 and love it. The 2.5 magnification is perfect for me. If was taking longer shots I would have gotten the 60. When I'm recording I leave the scope on after I set everything up. I leave the lens cap shut and turn the top knob whenever I see something walk out. IRD states they will not make one that stays set to record after it has been turned off. I go through two batteries a night which is not big deal for me. Something about the battery draw when the unit is fired up. Wildfowler is the one who recorded the beavers in the pond. I think he has the best scope out there for recording. I've not had much luck getting a clear video like he has.

D

djones

leaving the scope on and setup solves some ir issues. i would definitely go with the battery pack. i have one for my zeus 75 and like it a lot. the focus may not be that big of a deal. i often forget to focus mine as it is. pre focusing to normal shooting ranges would probably be good enough. when videoing thru the mark 3 60hz, i set it to 30 hz to test since the dvr had a max frame rate of 30. output was jumpy. set scope back to 60 hz and it was fine.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
leaving the scope on and setup solves some ir issues. i would definitely go with the battery pack. i have one for my zeus 75 and like it a lot. the focus may not be that big of a deal. i often forget to focus mine as it is. pre focusing to normal shooting ranges would probably be good enough. when videoing thru the mark 3 60hz, i set it to 30 hz to test since the dvr had a max frame rate of 30. output was jumpy. set scope back to 60 hz and it was fine.
I leave mine on 60 cause I was told too! lol My crap weighs enough without adding an external battery pack. I guess I need to work out more. The old heads will get it. I just focus the eye piece and call it quits.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
bet those who hunt with the ir don't mind the menu driven adjustments. you could probably get very fast with practice.
I wish the Nuc and zoom were in the same menu screen. That said I leave it on the top menu screen so that if I need to zoom for the shot, I just turn the right turret 1 or 2 clicks to 2x or 4x digital zoom without having to scroll to that menu screen first. But then to nuc/calibrate, I have to use the left turret to go down to menu 3. I have learned toclose the butler front cap wig my pinky and turn the top turret to nuc it with my thumb one handed and pretty quick.. but the auto nuc would be better or st least having those two menu options on the same menu screen.
Good write up though DJ. I didn't know u could type that much at once without using sarcasm or busting someone's balls lol!

D

djones

Good write up though DJ. I didn't know u could type that much at once without using sarcasm or busting someone's balls lol!
don't get used to it. you might be next!

i know nv tubes have a life span, but does leaving the thermal on shorten its life?

sounds like everyone with an ir hunter has figured out how to minimize the effort of changing settings.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wish the Nuc and zoom were in the same menu screen. That said I leave it on the top menu screen so that if I need to zoom for the shot, I just turn the right turret 1 or 2 clicks to 2x or 4x digital zoom without having to scroll to that menu screen first. But then to nuc/calibrate, I have to use the left turret to go down to menu 3. I have learned toclose the butler front cap wig my pinky and turn the top turret to nuc it with my thumb one handed and pretty quick.. but the auto nuc would be better or st least having those two menu options on the same menu screen.
Funny that I picked up a Reap-IR a couple hours ago and thejoystick/ shortcut menu combo allows me to adjust zoom with one click to the right on the joystick. And without having to navigate the menu, I can also cover the lens with one finger and click the joystick up to calibrate/nuc it. Problem solved!

JPK

LSB Active Member
Yea, the Joy Stick Quick Menu solves the MK II or III menu issues.

NUCing has never been an issue with the MK II, and neither has changing zoom, but you get the choice of a quick NUC or a quick zoom change. With the Patrol and REAP-IR NUC and 2x digital are right there (like they should be on the MK's.) And I think ~2.5x is about the perfect native magnification/FOV compromise, especially given the clarity and detail of the IRD units, which keeps 2x zoom very clear and detailed.

JPK