Armasight Zeus 2 640x512, 42mm

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Picked up one of these to use for a spotting scope and spare rifle scope. I wanted something that would out perform my FLIR PS32 for longer distance spotting.

I am not keen on the auto dimming feature to highlight a target. It is more pronounced than on my Zeus 3 to the point of blotting out the crosshairs.

Otherwise, the image is very good, certainly good enough for hunting at most typical night hunting distances. So this isn't a 400 yard and probably not a 300 yard scope, but I don't see why you couldn't do hogs out to 200.

Will try to get more video come Monday.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice video Brian. Mood luck on the next hunt.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian is this the new core? If so last Monday there was a firmware update where you can turn the auto gain filter on and off and some other features. I've been using the Prometheus basically the same thing with out a weapon mount, I like it over all the monocular's I have including my mtm.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
was that a better option than the promethisis or was that it was not gun mountable?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
was that a better option than the Prometheus or was that it was not gun mountable?
I think its the same thing but has the cross hairs and weapons mount that the Prometheus does not have. So the zues would have more uses with a price difference of course.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video. Nice demonstration to illustrate the auto-dimming feature. Thanks for that.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good deal. I like the 2x, 42mm, we had one for the hunt when we did the show as well as my 3x.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is there not an option for red or green crosshairs?

JPK

LSB Active Member
If you watch the video you can see Brian scroll through the reticle colors and the green shows up pretty well, but really, with the auto dimming the screen is very dark and the lose of perspective is substantial. I watched the video last night, while also watching Fox News, so wasn't totally focused on it, but, iirc, pretty much the only portion of the reticle visible was the portion actually over the deer he was focusing on.

I do wonder what the screen would look like if the polarity had been black hot instead of white hot. Maybe a washed out white background and a black target wouldn't give the sense of a loss of perspective. Brian?

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think its the same thing but has the cross hairs and weapons mount that the Prometheus does not have. So the zues would have more uses with a price difference of course.

Got it, what is the price difference?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes. New core. New power switch. Since I got it on Wednesday, I don't apparently have the new firmware. Will Armasight update it?
I know they do for the pro line not 100% on the standard but it is the same core.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What is a good price on this unit?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Optics Planet has a 10% coupon this weekend. I guess it's still in effect.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hey Bri, that's only a $600 or cheaper than a 75mm 640 Zeus 30, right? Is this a proline your speaking of? What am I missing?

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ok. Just figured you'd get another 3 75mm 640 for about same price. Makes sense if you wanted smaller lens though.