Do you change arrows in any way for hog hunting?

• No change, I shoot the same setup as deer.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I increase the arrow weight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I change broadheads or ot other components for hog hunting.

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

ranch fairy

61 Pigs had a bad day in 2016. Stay Tuned
Howdy,
Was on the site today and noticed the shot placement video. Excellent. Similar to a project (bow hunting specific) I have been considering for a couple years and just broke off and decided to do it last week.
Goals:
1. Discuss why McKenzie Targets are misleading and reorient bow hunters for less frustration.
2. Show the skeleton of a pig, then autopsy a pig killed on the same video.
2. Make the case for the quartering away shot as the Archery Gold Standard purely based on physiology of a pig. Which, factually, is quite unusual and WELL PROTECTED by bone.

I accomplished this goal today. Here is the link:
For all the bow hunters out there, I look forward to helping everyone (sure hope it does) thanks for watching and keep following the threads on Lone Star Boars. One of these days I am going to have to get some night vision.

Troy@ranchfairy.com for any comments.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Agreed, cut on contact (spooky sharp) broadheads are my choice of killing points... and, for me, traditional archery gear. I'm not a fan of the weight, nor the dependency upon the tune of the bow (for success) with compounds. With traditional gear, it's all about you and your ability to get it there. My longbow weighs 27 oz. and if I cut the string in the field, a spare can be strung in minutes... and a bow square gets the brace length close enough to function.n

Even though I've never hunted hogs, I would not change my broadhead/arrow for hogs. I'd continue to shoot what I was dialed in at. Consistency is key with archery gear.

Another reason I'm not a fan of compounds, any monkey can line up a sight and pull a trigger. Traditional gear test YOU, not the tune of your gear. Old School baby !!