ar upper front sight with using a Zeus thermal

Fox53

I am new to this forum. I recently bought a Zeus 640 and put it on my Rock River ar. My upper has the military type post fixed front sight on it "gas block and sight are all one piece". Will this hinder the image in the scope in any way? Do I need to get a new ar or upper with no front sight? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your current set up is not ideal. That being said, I've had the front lens cover slip back over about 40% of the lens (75mm) on mine and it took me a long time to realize it. I was surprised once I started playing with it how well it could still 'see' with the obstruction. Bottom line, yes, you'll be losing some performance. Whether or not that is acceptable to you to be losing performance on a $6K scope to an issue that would cost you all of $40 to remedy is up to you. If it were me, I'd just replace the gas block with a low profile one and be done with it. That, or use it as an excuse to buy/ build another upper.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
FREE FIX...dremel the top of the sight off leaving the gas block intact.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've used a hack saw and a file to remove several fixed front sights for friends. They refused to buy a low profile gas block or wanted to retain the clamshell handguards and delta ring setup.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've used a hack saw and a file to remove several fixed front sights for friends. They refused to buy a low profile gas block or wanted to retain the clamshell handguards and delta ring setup.

Sometimes like on some PSA barrels the front sight is not removable or voids the warranty so cut it off, cover w black magic marker or cold blue and let her rip!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My first choice would be to get another upper with a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC and save the one you have for what it was made for.

Fox53

thanks guys. You gave me some good things to think about. I may just look for a new 6.8 upper. I am going to hunt hogs and coyotes.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah you never said it was a 223/556 the 6.8 would be mucho better for hunting, you can keep your upper as is and get the 6.8 to trade on the lower.

Fox53

ts a 223 using a 77 grain bullet. I think your right on getting the 6.8. I"m just trying to figure out what brand of upper to get. I make custom bolt guns for a living. I only do the wood work. I don't know a lot about ar's. my ar is a "Rock River" and is extremely accurate. I dont want to get a cheapy upper but I don't want a high dollar out of the park one either. I'm probably going to be only shooting 1 to 150 yard shots. I am also new to the thermal stuff. I bought a Armasight Zeus 640 in a 75mm. I am REALLY thrilled with it. We have a boat load of coyotes and some hogs. Every time the hog population gets built up the USDA comes in with their helo"s and kills them. Last year they shot 140 on the east side of the Arkansas river, this year they shot 100 on the west side. They just leave them lay. I don't think that is right. We have followed their trucks around and when we see them shooting out of the helo's way off in the section, we ask them if they could flag or tell us where the hogs are that are dead so we can go get them to eat. The always tell us no they don't have time. If we did that the game commission would get us for want and waist. It is what it is. I will look for the 6.8 Thanks man

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
build your own, it is easy and you get just what you want...may I suggest an ***(**************) barrel....

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the forum Fox. I also have a Zeus 640/75 and am very pleased with it. Per Frank's suggestion, I also recommend the 6.8 and checking out *** barrels. If you aren't interested in building your own upper, you might check with hdfireman (Blackstone Arms) here on LSB forum. Eric built my very first AR rifle for me several years ago (16" *** 6.8) and it's a tack driver.

Oh, and since you already got the hard part out of the way by dropping coin on the thermal, might as well consider completing the trifecta with a suppressed SBR. ***'s 12.5" 6.8 barrel paired with a can and thermal sight makes a great night time hog hunting setup.

Fox53

thanks guys I will check with *** about the 6.8 spc. I wish I could of done thermal years ago. It's a whole nother way of hunting. I just got the thermal and now there is 1 less coyote to grab my pets and chickens that I never would of got without it.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh, and since you already got the hard part out of the way by dropping coin on the thermal, might as well consider completing the trifecta with a suppressed SBR. ***'s 12.5" 6.8 barrel paired with a can and thermal sight makes a great night time hog hunting setup.

This is exactly my set up and I freaking love it. 12.5" *** 6.8 and a Thunderbeast Ultra 7. Perfect platform for the 75mm Zeus.