Anyone interested in an affordable homemade IR setup?

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
You guys may have this IR stuff all figured out already, but I wanted to find out if there was any interest in being able to have a very affordable gun mounted IR night vision setup that can be put on or taken off your gun or even swapped to another gun in seconds. How about being able to watch a 7" screen while waiting for the hogs or coyotes to show up? No more having to look thru a NV scope for hours. Anyone interested? I'm not selling anything at this point. I'm just needing to find out if there might be any demand for a setup like that. If so, I will provide all the details and some pics to show y'all what I've come up with. I have used it in my blind to watch a feeder at 115 yds waiting for hogs. It works great for me. The nice thing is I am using the scope and reticle that I've used for years and that I trust to be dead on. Please let me know if any interest. Thanks guys.

D

djones

can't hurt to put up pics. might be useful for lawpawg when he hunts from the back of the minivan

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Many scopes have WIFI now so you can watch on your phone instead of through the scope. It would depend on the retail cost I guess.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Hey Frank,
Yeah, a hunting buddy has the Armasight (?) That allows him to watch on his phone. It's a great unit for sure. He paid around $650 I think, which is a good deal. I bought a Sightmark Photon IR scope 6 months ago. I've hunted with it several times, but keep going back to my homemade setup because i don't want to have to hold my gun and look thru the scope constantly as it does not have wifi. I've been working on my setup for just over a year now and it really works well. I think I could sell the system for around $400. That would include color day/night IR camera ready to mount, monitor with scope mount, DVR, microphone, all cables and connectors, etc..
the only thing you would need is a 12v rechargeable battery and those run around $15. I really think there might be a demand out there for this. I'll see if I get any more feedback and then post some pics and videos.
Another cool thing I did last weekend is I mounted an IR laser on my gun and zeroed it with the scope at 100 yds. This way I can have my setup on a stand alone scope pointed at the feeder and zoom in on a hog. All I have to do is switch on the IR laser mounted on my rifle and put a bright very visible dot on the hog's neck or shoulder while watching the monitor and pull the trigger. It works very well.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
$400 is what I paid for my X-sight with WIFI and a reticle and built in recorder. There are several better and new units coming out this year shown at SHOT for $500-700 for the whole shootin' match. I think you might have reinvented the wheel at least at a $400 price point. I also have a digital monocular I use so I don't have to scan with the rifle till I see something, it was $120.

Not trying to shoot you down just helping I hope just sittin here talking.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also all thermal and nearly all digital night vision can be plugged into a monitor already..being like Frank trying to shoot you down or anything. But what you're asking about has already been built for the price you're suggesting.

darrohn801

LSB Member
Thanks guys. That's the feedback I was looking for and I appreciate it. Maybe I can sell my setups for around $300 and get some interest.:D

I know this has been said a bunch, but until you post some pictures or a video we can't really give you any other positive/negative feedback imo.