Any experience with 6.5 Grendel

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The two calibers are more similar in performance than many may claim. Brian will be able to sound off with his perspective. It kills hogs, no doubt.

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
The two calibers are more similar in performance than many may claim. Brian will be able to sound off with his perspective. It kills hogs, no doubt.
Thats good to know. Reason I am asking is that I am interested in buying an modified AR like rifle that is allowed for hunting purposes in Canada called the ATRS Modern Varmint. Only calibre offered right now is .223 but after talking with the company who makes these, 6.5 Grendel is supposedly the next calibre that will be available.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian Schaffer has a 6.5 Grendel as RD said. He will prolly chime in soon with info.
My take is that if u want a 12-18 inch barrel go with a 6.8. If u want a 20-24 inch barrel, go with 6.5. I think the 6.8 has a slight edge in energy out the muzzle but the 6.5 maintains its energy better at farther distances and shoots a little flatter for longer shots. 6.8 also has more options for factory ammo if u don't reload.

Last edited:

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I see that everybody on this site is in love with 6.8 SPC for hunting hogs, but what about 6.5 Grendel?
I shoot a 6.8 but I'm a long, long way from being in love with it.

Canadianhoghunter

LSB Member
Brian Schaffer has a 6.5 Grendel as RD said. He will prolly chime in soon with info.
My take is that if u want a 12-18 inch barrel go with a 6.8. If u want a 20-24 inch barrel, go with 6.5. I think the 6.8 has a slight edge in energy out the muzzle but the 6.5 maintains its energy better at farther distances and shoots a little flatter for longer shots. 6.8 also has more options for factory ammo if u don't reload.
Ya I noticed the ammo choices for 6.8 are far greater than 6.5 G.

Legally the rifle has to be 18.5" or longer to be used outside of shooting ranges. So if a barrel were to be 18.5" stick with 6.8"?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I see that everybody on this site is in love with 6.8 SPC for hunting hogs, but what about 6.5 Grendel?

Well, I guess I am not everybody. o_O Neither is Curly Shuffle, LOL.

What about the Grendel? It works fine. I believe I have well over 130 videos in which it is used.
HornHillRange- Link

With that said, I have hunted with the 6.8. It works fine. Many calibers do.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

^^^This^^^

Also while researching the two I have noticed most comparisons are done with a 16" 6.8scpI vs a 20" 6.5g. If you compare the same barrel lengths and use the 6.8SPCII the 6.8 well outperforms the Grendel to 300 meters. Either way both work very well.