Another thermal weapon sight... IR Defense IR Hunter

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
looks good, imagine it looks even better through the scope

would be nice to have windage and elevation project on the display, but for me I don't really care if it does

That does bother me about ETR, thought the idea was that it would be just centered around the reticle, so that is the only place you would be able to see it, maybe looking at other targets would show this, especially targets that are hot, you have to see what it does with the bloom that is around a target that is hot across the whole target, not targets that are not all hot

thanks for the review, what is your thought of the image quality looking through it?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you for the review, very well done! I wish each MFG would do this, it certainly gives you a good idea!

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
That does bother me about ETR, thought the idea was that it would be just centered around the reticle, so that is the only place you would be able to see it, maybe looking at other targets would show this, especially targets that are hot, you have to see what it does with the bloom that is around a target that is hot across the whole target, not targets that are not all hot

what is your thought of the image quality looking through it?

Hi Dave - Hope all is well for you in ABQ and your hunting trips out this way.

Here is a video I took, through the lens with a camcorder - highlighted here is a white hot target and ETR.

Also through in a few minutes on the MOA range finding feature, similar to first focal plane array scopes, where the reticle stays at same point of aim and as you zoom in the moa spacing stays accurate.

I am taking the scope out tonight for a run through some shooting and viewing tests, I will comment more on the video quality after I get more seat time behind the scope.

HTXH

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
To me that looks pretty good, I think colder weather with a hot subject is where you will see the difference. Looking forward to some field results, especially with animals.

What did got end up using for a video cable?

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
The dealer who I bought the scope with says video cables will be ready next week.

Unfortunately no symbology will come over on the video output so just a full size screen image.

You've seen my past reviews - during casting the animals always stand me up and I have to resort to decoys. :rolleyes:

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Obligatory photos......

DSC_0283_zpsfa59fcc4.jpg

DSC_0285_zps3f8154bf.jpg

DSC_0287_zps02e7e4eb.jpg

DSC_0289_zpsfa2d4197.jpg

On this last photo, there is good positive spring pressure in the end cap of the battery housing however the scope sits so darn low on the rail I think I may have to take the scope off the rail to swap batteries - not cool... :eek:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Nice, I meant to ask you for some photo's, you read my mind. The 35mm looks bigger than I thought it would.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The next two weekends are booked for me but after that maybe we can try to go get some live targets with it one weekend. You should have the video cable by then. We can do a w1000, ir hunter, mtm, and whatever else we can get our hands on comparison.

You interested??

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow excellent write up Brian! Can you copy and paste this review into its own thread please? Pretty please!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok, he did say pretty please.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ok, he did say pretty please.

Both are excellent reviews and I thought they each deserved their own thread. We all really owe these guys a big thanks for taking the time to share this information with us.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
absolutely!

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Both are excellent reviews and I thought they each deserved their own thread. We all really owe these guys a big thanks for taking the time to share this information with us.

Todd, many thanks for the kind words - I tested Brian's observations with my IR Hunter tonight and unfortunately it exhibits inconsistent performance as he noted in his review. See below:

I have not conducted the shooting portion of my field testing but decided to test the theory using a stationary target - the results were less than acceptable. At this point I would consider my scope in need of repair/fix. Here is a video to illustrate the issue.

Note: As an early adopter of the product I did my best to research the company and the product before purchasing, this included a verbal conversation with representatives of IR Defense who said they will back their product(s). I am going to contact them this week to discuss this observation and provide them the opportunity to trace it down. I have heard only good things about the folks behind IRD, so I ask that we allow them an opportunity to review/digest the information and provide a response.

Thanks,

Ben