Another thermal weapon sight... IR Defense IR Hunter

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
that is crazy Ben, I know Brian experienced that, completely unacceptable

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Note: As an early adopter of the product I did my best to research the company and the product before purchasing, this included a verbal conversation with representatives of IR Defense who said they will back their product(s). I am going to contact them this week to discuss this observation and provide them the opportunity to trace it down. I have heard only good things about the folks behind IRD, so I ask that we allow them an opportunity to review/digest the information and provide a response.

Excellent video!

So you think this might qualify under the warranty as fitting a defect in material quality or workmanship?;)

Last edited:

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Brian -

I wouldn't constitute these issues as warranty related for material defect or workmanship related to material quality.

I returned the scope to the dealer I purchased through and it is being sent back for evaluation and most certainly a firmware flash, the dealer indicated that IR Defense is aware of the issue(s) and working to resolve them.

So obviously this review is on hold and the hogs will just have to wait for a proper introduction to thermal guided boo-lits.

Ben

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ben, I am glad they are being responsive to you!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Let me know when and if you will be getting one back. 2nd or 3rd weekend in July I would like to test as many units sided by side as possible. So far we have the Zeus, w1000, mtm, x320. Pretty good lead on a LWTS. No thors or flirs yet. Pm me your phone number so we can work on this.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hope that they can make it right

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
Let me know when and if you will be getting one back. 2nd or 3rd weekend in July I would like to test as many units sided by side as possible. So far we have the Zeus, w1000, mtm, x320. Pretty good lead on a LWTS. No thors or flirs yet. Pm me your phone number so we can work on this.
Im 99% certain I'll be able to provide at least one thor and a FLIR RS32.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Hey all -

Good news and bad news - I will be brief.

Good news: I went to my dealer yesterday as he contacted me to say the scope was back. I put it through its paces there at his shop and with a reasonable amount of certainty I can say that it appears as though the reticle shift problem was corrected through a firmware update. At no time, going through the same process as before, did the reticle move about on the screen in a non-uniform manner. The POA shift was consistent throughout the zoom range.

Bad news: Based on my personal needs I decided to return the scope and accept a dealer credit towards other items therefore I will be unable to complete this review. I am disappointed that I won't be able to share any valuable information regarding the IR Hunter's capabilities in the field as first intended however this was not a testing and evaluation (T&E) endeavour therefore with a large sum of my money on the line it was imperitative that I was 100% satisfied with the product for my personal use. I will say that my primary concerns which led to my decision were: the battery compartment situated so close to the rail of my AR15 and hindered further by the power switch placement making battery changes difficult and no x/y values associated to windage and elevation settings and the placement of this menu selection (Level 3) in between other frequent use menu levels which in my mind could lead to inadvertent changes to the settings while in the field.

Again, these points may appear rather small to some but with my own money on the line I had to make the call based on my situation.

Thanks,

Ben

Note: I have taken down the Youtube video that illustrates the reticle shift issue as it wouldn't be fair to IR Defense to leave that out there beyond the point of them addressing the issue - hats off to IRD for a quick turn around and response to the issue!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I can understand returning it. Still looks to be a promising scope for some, but for the money these scopes cost, have to be happy with them.

I haven't said all the reasons why I went with the Zeus, but what it came down to and factors were; features, weight, warranty, future support, size, mounting, operation, technology and a few other personal quirks of mine.. I have to say I'm pretty happy with it so far.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck on the next choice Ben!

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
If you do decide on a Zeus, I'll do my best to beat any advertised price out there.

I appreciate the offer Sir.

I was provided dealer credit from this purchase that I ended up using to get a thermal scanner and a NV scope.

While I tried going directly from digital riflescopes to thermal weapon sights, since it didn't work out I decided to fall back to thermal spotting and NV shooting which I know of a great many people who are successful with that mix of tools.

It'll be an upgrade to my hunting arsenal and I will need some time to replenish the penny jar to get into a TWS.

HTXH

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
me too