Another RXQ30V thread

CharlieKilo

Based on comments and reviews, mostly from this Forum, I just purchased an RXQ30V.

I rented an HD19a and an XD50a a couple of years ago and that was my first experience with a TI. I really enjoyed it but didn't think I'd ever be able to get my own TI due to cost. Yesterday I took delivery of the rxq30v and played around with it yesterday evening and this morning. So far I'm impressed with the unit. Features, cost, weight, etc. all adds up to a very good value in my opinion.

I've got a couple of questions. I've read the manual but didn't see this mentioned. Is the PIP a fixed magnification? If so, is it 6x? Also, for others of you that use TI's, do you normally set it to auto calibrate? I've had it set on semi-auto and it seems like in my limited use in the city that I was having to nuc it often. Maybe out in the country where there is less fluctuation of heat signatures/noise it won't have to be done as often.

LSB Active Member
RXQ dweeb here and first thermal. Love it had it right at 2 months on Aug 12. Closing in on 30 hogs with the Pulsar.

1. I believe PIP is fixed and at max mag.

2. I use semi-auto and while I've not tested it in the city I probably nuke it every 5 minutes or so. Extremely hot and humid here. It was 90 and 10pm a few nights ago when my buddies trail cam caught me right after I smoked a hog under his feeder. HOT!

CharlieKilo

Thanks.

I'm in Brazos County and it's gets really hot and humid here as well.

I'm guessing it's designed to be nuc'd often and will not harm the unit. I think in the 30 minutes total that I played with it I nuc'd it 20 times. Seems like I've read somewhere in the past that having it on auto could cause it to nuc at an undesirable time, like when tracking a moving target, causing you to lose POA. In watching Todd's video review it looks like that happened when that Fox ran behind a cow.

LSB Active Member
That's exactly why I didn't leave it on auto I recognized that 5 minutes after I turned it on for the first time. I don't think you will be disappointed with it. I showed it to a retired AirForce pilot who spent his entire career with NV and thermal and he was flabbergasted with what $2k could do and could not put the Pulsar down all night loved it. If it impressed a guy used to flying at night for a living we will be allrighty to rail a few hogs!