Another one down in OK (and a question)

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Spending a couple of weeks in OK to look over my mom-in-law who is recovering from surgery (luckily my job allows me to work from wherever I want).
Very quiet on the hog front, over 11 days without see anything at the feeder or pig pipe other than deer and raccoons. Walking from the main house to the bunk house around sunset yesterday, I spied what looked like a lone hog in the back field. Checked wind (in my favor) and put the bunk house between me and the hog, jogged to bunk house and glassed a pretty big sow. Grabbed the 6.8, put a couple of small trees between the hog and I and I was able to get within 150 yds. About to take the shot and the hog (who looked pretty big) starting walking TOWARDS me. The hog was probably under a 100 yds and I was losing light so I took the shot when she gave me a good profile.
120 grain Hornady SST through the shoulder, DRT.
Chest girth at around 43", so I am guessing a little over 200# (with a very large head).

For my question, I had heard you can put a little diesel on the corn so it just attracts hogs, not the deer and other critters. I tried it and the deer/raccoons acted like the diesel was a delicacy, not a deterrent. Do I need to really soak the corn to keep the deer from eating all of it? Thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog!! I don't use diesel as I eat my hogs I use kreso-D, you don't soak the corn but I have used 1/2 cup in a 5olb bag, sometimes it works sometimes not, Then I tried a pump up sprayer with a very light coat over and around the corn and got better results.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good lookin' hog... however? Does "she" have "issues"? LOL

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For my question, I had heard you can put a little diesel on the corn so it just attracts hogs, not the deer and other critters.

I think you may be a little confused on cause and effect. It isn't that the diesel will cause the corn to just attract hogs, but not other critters. It is that most critters other than hogs won't eat corn that has diesel in it...unless they are really hungry. If diesel was a magical 'attractant' then we would all be using it for hogs and without the need for poisoning the corn, but that just isn't the case. We would be using diesel as scent cover too, LOL.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Good lookin' hog... however? Does "she" have "issues"? LOL

Yeah, I tend to interchange/mix gender when excitedly typing. For the other poster, I had read about Barr hogs awhile back but not sure/can't remember what they are.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I did not notice, but that is a boar hog not a sow or a tranny hog...LOL A barr hog has been caught before and his nutz removed leaving a flat area not a bulging one where the the balls are.

Brian is right, D is not an attractant but a deterrent to other corn eaters, hogs just don't care as much, creosote is, that is why I use the Kreso-d on my corn that is laid out as well as on rubbing posts I have installed.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
My wording if off about the diesel. I put diesel on the corn so the corn just attracts hogs. It made perfect sense in my head. :)

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
congrats on the hog, good shot

that boar I don't think is a barr, it could be, but nuts don't stick out on some boars when they are younger, the boar in my avatar was right at 300 pounds and I thought at first it was a barr because I couldn't see his nuts lol

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
wrong the scent of oil, diesel and hydrolic fluid does attract hogs. Not as a food source, as a rub. Soak a piece of carpet in any of the aforementioned oils, wrap it around a tree or pole and see how quickly hogs find it.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
wrong the scent of oil, diesel and hydrolic fluid does attract hogs. Not as a food source, as a rub. Soak a piece of carpet in any of the aforementioned oils, wrap it around a tree or pole and see how quickly hogs find it.
I had seen that on a couple of other websites, didn't know if there was any truth to it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hogs when they pass by a creosote post/power pole like to rub it, they use them as more a social area to let other hogs they have been there and get bugs, ticks and such off. Same w oil, pine tar, kreso-D and probably cooking oil and diesel too. I am not sure they will travel to the scent(like an attractant) as much as already passing by, leaving scent so other hogs can find.

We hunt pine forest land and they will cut a pine tree for the sap and rub them along trails and paths they use but will not go 10' off the game trail to hit another tree. I have rubbing posts on every plot, they seldom get used as the last ones I put up are not on an established trail. I have put everything on them including scents and for 2 years have for the most part remained unused, but 15-25 yards away on a game trail the pines are rubbed along the trail.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A farmer friend of mine had a tractor break down in the middle of a wheat field, By the next fall the bottom of the tractor looked like a brand new nickle from hogs rubbing the hydrolic fluid Leak.
Try building a rubbing post like I'm talking about and put a game camera on it.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
how much diesel would you put in a 50 LB bag of corn for a good mix <<

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Six to Eight ounces at the most

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
congrats on the boar! Sounds like after 11 days you got a well needed break!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter