Another "help me" thread

BrantSFGDS

Greetings from the Bluegrass state! New guy here, and yes, I posted on the new guy page. Anyways, I'm fixin to pull the trigger on an IR Hunter MK III 60mm or a REAP IR. and I cant decide between the two. I understand the differences between them and it seems hog hunters prefer the REAP IR and varmint/predator guys like the 60mm. I'm leaning towards the 60mm myself even though it will primarily be used on hogs. Do you guys think he 60mm is overkill for hogs? I need to be able make good shots out to 300 meters but I may get as close as 50 meters. I can only afford one unit at the moment so what would yall do?

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Do you have a scanner or are planning to buy a scanner? I have a Reap-Ir and it’s a very nice scope. I primarily use it as a scanner and sometimes weapon mounted. I consider it an excellent scanner and a good scope. It’s smaller lens just isn’t going to really compete with the 60mm mk3 as far as a weapon mounted scope, especially to 300 yards.
But honestly I still think the Flir/Armasight Zeus line area a better value than the Trijicons. Or really the Pulsar line. You could buy a scanner and scope for the price of the mk3 I’d think.

Last edited:

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
47737297-4197-41D7-BFCE-B4457E033670.jpeg
QI4gEq.jpg

Man, a question I might know something about :)

First, I have tons of hours behind the ReapIR it’s a beast and taken tons of hard use without issue. The key points on ReapIR are its small and lite weight for a thermal scope (works great as a scanner also) , great high end construction/feel, it’s simple to use and the joy stick is faster with custom presets(Nuc/zoom/etc) vs MK III and clarity is awesome.

The MK III 60mm plus I’ve owned a MK I and MK II 35mm in the past for reference. Once again the MK III housing is first rate feels like a Nightforce scope construction quality wise high end all the way, menu knobs are great and easy to use however I wish there was a quick one way NUC button vs having to go back to menu, the 60mm lens provides a awesome picture at longer ranges. MK III is a beast when it comes to overall performance.

Now if I could only have one? Right now it would have to be the ReapIR the size and weight is just freaking awesome and the 2.5X mag meets 90% of my shooting needs. I also think the menu and joy stick is faster to use in the field. I preset my four most used settings for the quick set menu so within 2 seconds I can Nuc/zoom/take a pic with ease.

This takes nothing away from the MK III 60mm it’s a incredible weapon sight and flat out will provide a better image at longer ranges. I just find most all my shooting occurs under 100 yards and the bigger FOV of the ReapIR works better at closer range or up in timber/woods. The weight and size is also a big factor I walked 4 miles of trail last night carrying the MK III 60mm and I felt the weight end of hunt. The MK III is my long range setup that said shots at 50 yards it works fine.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Greetings from the Bluegrass state! New guy here, and yes, I posted on the new guy page. Anyways, I'm fixin to pull the trigger on an IR Hunter MK III 60mm or a REAP IR. and I cant decide between the two. I understand the differences between them and it seems hog hunters prefer the REAP IR and varmint/predator guys like the 60mm. I'm leaning towards the 60mm myself even though it will primarily be used on hogs. Do you guys think he 60mm is overkill for hogs? I need to be able make good shots out to 300 meters but I may get as close as 50 meters. I can only afford one unit at the moment so what would yall do?

My primary rifle scope is the IR Hunter MKIII 60mm. If you are the type to regularly stalk up to within 20-30 yards of a sounder, 4.5x is a bit much magnification. You can certainly make some close shots, but you have a limited FOV up close and it is hard to pick up runners when they are that close. Here is an example of a short range coyote kill. You can hunt short range and if you are dealing with singles, no problem.

Here is a hog I took at 370 yards in less than ideal conditions (go to ~1:38 in video)

I prefer all the extra magnification over less magnification primarily because I usually hunt by myself and I do not care to be up close and personal with the hogs. I prefer to take shots at 75-150 yards and the MKIII 4.5x makes it easy to do so.

The main problem with the Reap IR is the thumbstick. Some people just do not like them.

If you are hunting short range like Terry, you aren't likely to have as much need for the additional magnification of the MKIII 4.5x. If you are hunting big open fields, then I would not hesitate to get the MKIII 4.5x.

Wayne

LSB Member
After just receiving my Reap IR last week I can add something to this, after comparing my reap to a Zeus 2.7 and a pulsar Helion 1.9 I can say although the picture is awesome the magnification is only about 1.7/1.8 so if you want native magnification I would go with MK 60mm

BrantSFGDS

Thanks for the input guys! I would love to be able to get my hands on both so I could compare them side by side but thats not possible as I'm currently deployed. I'm really thinking the 60mm is best for me since I need something for large and small game at distance. Maybe someday i can afford both!

BrantSFGDS

Let me ask y'all this. Have any of you tried using the REAP IR as a clip on? If so, what did you think? That may be the best of both worlds if it works well.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It sucks as a clip on bc it’s not a clip on, despite pictures posing it as such in promotional literature. You might could put a red dot behind it and be minute of man at 50 yards, maybe. It’s not a collimated optic.

BrantSFGDS

Thanks for the input guys! I decided on the IR-Hunter 60mm. I won’t be home to enjoy it for a while but I’ll post a review once I get my hands on it.