Another Coyote, Maybe Two

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
While hunting hogs at TBR, I decided to do some predator calling. I would call for a few minutes, wait a few, repeat. To my surprise, a pair of coyotes appeared. The first one, a male, quickly disappeared into the high wheat/oats of the food plot. The second stayed out in the open and was shot first. This coyote ducked back into the tree line and was not seen again. Attempts to find this coyote resulted in being unduly ravaged by mosquitoes and the search was quickly abandoned. I doubt she got very far, but she got farther than I could go.

The male exited the food plot and was into open, mowed field. He trotted some distance before stopping and that is where I dropped him.

I thought I would just run over and get some quick pics, but that wasn't the case. I slogged through a virtual swamp or bog, my boots being sucked down by the mud, the constant hum of mosquitoes despite my companion.

I waited a few more hours for hogs. Silly me, they weren't there. They were all across the road on the neighbor's property again.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Angry Bird's got some pull with the local Constabulary, eh? You'd better keep him around. The buzzard's'll find the other one tomorrow. Nice chootin' B.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Brian. You get a lot of bonus critters.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
That's a lot of water. Definitely whacked that first one too. And THAT was a big hog.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah you got both of them...good thinking/shooting on the second dog!

Did I miss something you got stopped?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did he walk away laughing??

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice shooting Brian. That is a big hog.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your calling sounded like a BlueJay:). Good going!!! Man that ole hog at the end was a monster, hope to see pictures after you shoot that one. He was a beast!!! BANG BANG!!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah he looked like it was hit hard

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ping has struck once er twice again. Great job

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
CONFIRMED! Buzzards led landowner to other coyote. It was another male, so not a breeding pair, but still dead.
Just brings a tear to the eye, you know?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
BRD< You will like my favorite Turkey call a friend made me.turkey call 001.JPG

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Outstanding!