And Then There Were None(Almost)

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have been taking down the numbers of sounder at my club for about 4 months now. Here,I kill 'em and eat 'em. I have actually passed on killing more than one when some of the "less informed" hogs come back in after the shot.

Put out some bait at my club yesterday AM that consisted of dry corn(for the sound)dog food(for the yotes)and bread from the "day old" bread store. Got back to the lease at sunset and set up to stay all night. My shooting houses as so comfortable that staying for long periods of time is quite easy. I have bottles of water in them,they have a pisser,and I take snacks for the long hours if need be.

It was a great night.....FINALLY the heat broke a little and it was 67deg. Had to put on another shirt. Was watching the rabbits feeding in the tall grass off to the side of my plot with my thermal. Then two smallish deer came onto the plot. This is great. It helps me tweak the settings. I pretty much always use the red hot setting and the white or green reticle nowadays but I like to adjust the gain. The deer stayed for quite some time so this gave me the opportunity to play with the sight a bit.

My thermal is a ATN ThOR 320 3X 60hz. It's ability to see and target animals at the longer distances is great. I have shot yotes with this thermal at 200yds. You can tell the difference between a yote and a hog at 400yds also.

Last night the good sized boar with a the limp came onto the plot at 0200. He was quickly chowin' down on the bread when one of the small deer came charging from the side of the plot straight at him and he took off. About 15 minutes later I could see the red hot bits and pieces of something coming back towards the plot thru the tall grass and weeds. It was him sneaking slowly thru the brush. He moved very cautiously and when he got to the edge of the plot he stopped and looked for several minutes.

When he came back onto the plot it took him 10 minutes to present me with a broadside shot. When he did, I put a 85gr Barnes TSX at 3100fps from my 6.8 about midway between his ear and the bottom of his shoulder blade. With the thermal I could see the blood fly and what looked like a red hot balloon hovered over him then quickly vanished. Red/hot mist is all I can figure. He kicked about 7 or 8 times with both back legs and every time he did I could see the blood squirt out of the exit hole. I packed up my stuff and walked out to the hog and even after about 5 minutes I could still see the hotter than the ambient air hogs blood on the ground.

I brought him home and pulled him up on my scales and he weighed 165lbs. Except for the limp he was otherwise healthy. --- pruhdlr44302.jpg 97253.jpg

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice story! I'm tempted by the Thor but just can't seem to make myself go for it until its been tested a bit more.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog ! Great tale too, thanks.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks guys. IMO the ThOR is the type of equipment that you have to use it, to see it's value. I have tried to get a couple of friends of mine to buy them,however they chose either Gen.3 NV or another brand of thermal. The friend that bought another brand of thermal had it for a month before he had to send it back for some problem. Now the factory sez it was "operator error".

I feel that if you can afford a ThOR you really need to give one a try(if possible). I believe it will convince most. My unit will simply do so much more than the very best Gen.3 NV. And by the time you get the NV,the EOT,the 3X magnifier,and the IR light(and possibly a laser),then set your weapon up with enough rail space to install all this equipment..........well......... ? My unit is 8 inches long and weighs 30oz. That's it.

Of course my style of hunting is allot different than from you guys out in TX. You guys spot and stalk.....I sit and wait(unless I am calling yotes). I have never done the spot and stalk thing in a 50 acre field. If so,my idea of NV or thermal just might change.

Good Hunting To All --- pruhdlr
BTW ---> this hog will come back to me in the form of breakfast sausage.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the Kill, nice one

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Awesome work! I've looked through and shot with the Thor. It is a good piece of gear, but the menus seemed cumbersome and the plastic housing felt weak. My first impression and only impression though. I didn't get to use it much. The view through it was amazing though.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
On mine.....no plastic whatsoever. All aluminum. There are several menu's . There are several different reticles,different color choices for those reticles,then different colors of hot. White,black,several reds,blue,etc. Also a zoom button. Mine also has variable gain. It has 3X,6X,and 12X. I use 12X for spotting over long distances. This would be used more out west calling coyotes in the grasslands or over a chopped corn field of 50A+. Mine is always on 3X and if shooting 75 yds or so,I go up to 6X.

Good part is with all these settings,when you first get the sight you go out and set it to your liking. Then,every time you turn it off and back on again the setting remain the same. Even when you change batteries. It will also operate for an honest 6 hours using three D123 batt's. I get them from China for <$1.00 each. They are the 3.7V,1300mha type. --- pruhdlr

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I guess I was mistaken about the material used for the housing. I felt like plastic to me, but I will admit I didn't fondle it too much other than the buttons. It was dark and I was ready to kill pigs. My mistake.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As neat as the thor looks the w1000 is built like a tank. Think I will keep saving my pennies for it even though my window of opportunity is almost gone if not gone already with the baby coming.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As neat as the thor looks the w1000 is built like a tank. Think I will keep saving my pennies for it even though my window of opportunity is almost gone if not gone already with the baby coming.
Lease out the kid, use money to buy gear. LOL

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Don't worry about it - the baby expenses only last about 30 years....