An old story

Andre Lopes

Boar Hunter from Southern Brazil
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My dear friends!
Now I returned from my trip, after a long time off, I still have no recent history of hunting but today I remembered an old story that happened to me. A couple of years ago, I was talking with our friend Brian and he told me about a joke that said:
"A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body!"
We talked about it because he told me that used to believe it was a joke about a very good friend to help you cover up a crime murder, hiding evidence. But he said that after dragging a few pigs, decided that the real joke is about dealing with the issue of actual dead weight. He also said that drag is not an efficient way to move a pig, but sometimes necessary. A while after this conversation, I had gone hunting and after a night where the boars did not show up, I was preparing to leave when a friend came to me for help. It was 11:00 pm and he told me he had hit a hog that even wounded fled into the bush, leaving a trail of blood. He was not sure to follow the blood trail in the dark and asked if I could help him. I was tired, hungry and sleep but could not leave my friend alone and went to where he had shot the hog. Actually there was a trail of blood visible but the problem was that brands began in an open area and then came inland woods. We left the rifles in the truck and into the woods only with handguns and flashlights, following the trail. It was not easy to follow the trail, we were constantly caught on branches and vines and after a few minutes we were getting disoriented .. We crossed a small stream and temporarily lost the trail. A few more minutes searching and found a large bloodstain on a tree. And then later our efforts were rewarded when we found a large hog dropped in the water beside a fallen log. Still in the dark, with only the flashlights, I realized that the hog was big and heavy. We tied a rope around the hog's jaw and began the difficult task of dragging the hog for a closed path in the dark. Just to have that idea of the difficulty, when we entered the trail to find the hog took about 20 minutes. From the moment we begin to drag the hog to get out of the woods, took one hour and five minutes!
When the truck arrived, more dead than alive, I commented to my friend about the joke:

"A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body!"

That's all folks! Soon I will hunt and bring new stories! Until next time!

Andre

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Story Andre, Yeah I hate to recover a hog after he has not died right there..our brush is very thick and it is always a hassle

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I hate dragging hogs. Whitetail aren't as bad but hogs are so stocky and dense its tough. I like using a game cart when I can. Of course its more of a pain in thick brush than dragging is. Good story Andre.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And, a REALLY good friend doesn't break down and tell the cops after he's helped you drag a body. LOL We solved a murder that way (back in '84). I got more than one tale about that case. LOL

Great tale Andre, good lookin' hog too.