Ammo Convservation: 220 Yard 2-Fer

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I do believe that is the best twofer I have seen!! And a Good On Ya for that one.!!! Very cool!! BANG BANG!!!

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks! I actually thought the first hog, the intended target, was a good bit larger in size. She was a good bit larger than most of the other hogs. However, she wasn't, but that is probably for the best. Had she been 200 or 225 lbs, the bullet may not have exited or exited with enough velocity to kill the second hog.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bonus pig! I am surprised at the pass through, and still had enough energy to pass through the second skull!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was too. I think part of the jacket was inside the brain. I could probe the entry with my finger, through the zygomatic arch and brain case into the brain (so a ~1/2" hole), and I could feel larger hard pieces, but then maybe they were just bone fragments. However, the skull itself was not shattered, so I cut away tissue from around the skull and discovered the small slug on the other side along with the smaller exit from the brain case.

MNBob

LSB Member
Very nice shot 2nd best shot 1st was the bizzilion yard shot on the coyote. I am patiently wait to get back down to use my new set up. Keep putting them down.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice going! The running hog was sure pumping out blood.
I've read that the human brain has enough oxygen for about 15 seconds of activity before unconsciousness after the heart stops working. I would assume hogs act similarly. A couple of times I've shot one through the heart and had it run over 200 yards.

Keep After 'Em, you're doing well!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
haha - I happen to use that ammo in my 6.5G(18) !! Against a coyote the back of the coyote was a solid bloody mess ... to much bullet for that coyote !

Hard to believe too much bullet for a hog ! What part of the hog did this 265-lb boar did this bullet pass thru ?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hard to believe too much bullet for a hog ! What part of the hog did this 265-lb boar did this bullet pass thru ?

I'll have the video out later this evening with the "hogcropsy." Basically, it went through the thickest part. The bullet went through the shoulders, slight quartered shot, punching through 1+" of shield, one shoulder blade, ribs on both sides, clipped the cartilage on the opposite shoulder blade, and exited through 3/4" of shield on the other side.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Basically, it went through the thickest part. The bullet went through the shoulders, slight quartered shot, punching through 1+" of shield, one shoulder blade, ribs on both sides, clipped the cartilage on the opposite shoulder blade, and exited through 3/4" of shield on the other side.

hoo lee bat stuff !

You put rocket assists on those bullets !!??
:eek:

==
Well reading up on the SST ...

Features
POLYMER TIP
Upon impact, the hard polymer tip drives into the lead core like a wedge, initiating lightning-fast, yet controlled expansion.

SECANT OGIVE, BOATTAIL PROFILE
Incorporating the pioneering Hornady secant ogive design, the tapered point, increased bearing surface and more aerodynamic profile, combined with a boattail base, makes the SST® more efficient with less drag and greater stability.

CANNELURE
A mid-body cannelure helps keep the core and jacket together while providing a consistent, accurate crimp during the loading process.

INTERLOCK® RING
This Hornady exclusive design mechanically locks the core and jacket together to maintain bullet integrity during expansion, ensuring maximum weight retention and increasing the chances of complete pass-throughs.

Note the last phrase "increasing the chances of complete pass-throughs" ...

So I guess it is WAD (Working As Designed) in your cases !

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lots of hogs! Good vid and nice hog down.