Almost Ready

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well this Saturday was work on the lease day. I needed to clear out some overgrowth for shooting lanes. There was shooting lanes already cut but who ever did it had it all wrong. They had it set up so their scent would blow right into the feeder. After about 5 hours with a brush cutter and a chain saw I got it good to go, with the wind in my favor. I left some pockets of brush so the game feel some what safe.

I still need to put up a blind and cleared a area for it, I also still need to build the blind too. I got a hold of some captain's chairs out of a 2012 Dodge Caravan. I also acquired a couple wheel hubs off a BMW to make them swivel quietly. I just need to figure out how I am going to mount them. I plan to build a 4x6 box blind with a porch and probably 8' or so off the ground. When I get the blind built and dropped off at it's final resting place I will get you guys some pics, which will be next weekend hopefully.

This is a picture of the view from the tree blind that I put up to have more options if the wind changes on me. The feeder is about 50 yards away with a cross wind. You cannot really see it but to the right is where the blind will go, and that will be about 100 yard shot to the feeder with the wind in my face. After that you guys should be seeing dead pig threads.

img_20130727_172914_619.jpg

I did manage to pop this cub when I was leaving the lease. I didn't go out there with plans to kill something, but hey that is why I always bring both my day and night gun with me. So I was driving out after talking with a fellow hunter at camp, this was about 10pm. I saw this cub standing in the road about 100 yards out. So I quickly turned off my headlights and stopped the truck, pulled out the night gun opened the drivers door to use it as a rest. Watched him for a little bit to see if he had mama with him, which he didn't.

This is what a 6.8 SPC with a 120 SST out of a 16" barrel does to yotes at 100 yards. Needless to say with that small of a animal he just didn't DRT, more like a FRT (Flip Right There). Check out the exit and amout of blood from such a little guy.

img_20130727_214958_957.jpg
img_20130727_215146_108.jpg

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The 120 sst is nasty on yotes. The only thing I have hit a yote with that is worse is a 40 grain Winchester white box 22-250 round at 40 yards. It was a softball size exit!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know there are a lot of yotes out there, but they have a lot of cover. Looks like the only way to get them is to feed them some pigs. Of course at night too.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like your setup...Boy that 120SST really thumped that yote!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like you have a great set up. What part of Houston area are you in?

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
North Houston, I45 north and Beltway 8. But the lease is up by Trinity, which is 1.5 hour drive from my driveway to the blind.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you north or Nwest of Houston. Have a friend of mine, retired ranger who lives and hunts in the Navasota area. About a four hour drive for me. Been there twice and never saw a hog once. First time rain got us, second time the truck died. Am heading to Sugarland wed for a couple days.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Purdy piece of woods there... NICE whack on that pup ! You sure you didn't pack that tip with tannerite? LOL

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Purdy piece of woods there... NICE whack on that pup ! You sure you didn't pack that tip with tannerite? LOL
I should have layed my rifle next to him so you could gauge how small he was. The 68 is just too much gun for a yote. Good thing I don't collect or sell pelts.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another hard days work at the lease this weekend. Got the blind set-up and shooting lanes cleared.

At bit about the blind that I built. It is a 4x8 box blind that is standing 6 foot legs and the whole thing is a little over 12 foot. Inside I have two captains chairs from a dodge caravan mounted on some wheel bearing so they will rotate 360. I also have a shelf running the inside. In total I spent $250 in materials and about 5 full days of work to put it together. I still have a few more details to take care of like sealing it up, installing the windows, and carpet, and a bit more painting on the inside. But all in all it is pretty much set up. When I built it I wanted to be comfortable and have plenty of space for two and possibly a third person if need be.

As for the shooting lanes. To the left is the spinner about 80 yards away and to the right is a trough type feeder with protein feed same distance.

Next weekend is finishing the details to get it the way I want it.

FYI this is a completely different location.
img_20130810_172636_019.jpg img_20130810_172742_798.jpg img_20130810_172959_734.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is not a blind it is a Condo!! Solar fans, a funnel w hose for a pee tube and a cot mounted on the back wall that folds down will complete it! Sweet!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is not a blind it is a Condo!! Solar fans, a funnel w hose for a pee tube and a cot mounted on the back wall that folds down will complete it! Sweet!
Actually the chairs lean back enough to take a little nap. I never build anything without alot of though put into it and most of the time I over engineer it too.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey I am plain, I just put high back office chairs in mine.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool, great idea!! and FREE, the best part!