A New Boar Has Appeared

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is interesting to try to figure out their next move. It also can be frustrating because just when you have them "patterned", they change.

I am a fan of the phrase that "The only pattern is that they don't have a pattern." It is both right and wrong. Most folks "pattern" hogs by observing a given hog at a given location over a period of days or weeks, then they get surprised when the "pattern" doesn't hold. We tend to think of patterns as if they are schedules kept by the hog, but hogs don't keep schedules. Their pattern of behavior is hugely influenced by things that happen away from the "pattern" location. As we don't understand what is happening to the hog away from the pattern location, we don't understand why the perceived pattern changes or is disrupted.

I see it more as an issue of probability. If the hog has been coming a lot, then there is a higher probability that I can be successful hunting the hog at the location where he is "patterned." The only problem with probabilities is that they are not absolutes. :mad:

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
That really is the dilemma. Do I get to the blind at dusk? Or, do I get there at midnight? The only thing 'patterned' regarding the hogs at my friends ranch is that they only show up at night. We have no pics of daytime pigs. As a result, we are trying many different ways to hunt them at night. They will usually show up after two nights of bait being on the ground which is about the time we need to head home. I will be using an IR setup next weekend to see if total darkness makes the difference.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Set up a light on a solar charger and timer and bait it up with the best stuff they want and go get em!! Hope you get em!!:) BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
it works well, when you have no night vision, you can ID and shoot with a day scope pretty well or add a green weapons light and they don't see it come on. I mount them to a board and then attach to a tree that is inline w my feeders or roll barrel.
also when you see the light come on from a different stand through the brush it alerts you of activity

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, How long do those lights last? Years? Or just a year or so?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, How long do those lights last? Years? Or just a year or so?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
mine have been out 2-3-4 years, only one has required a new battery pack, there are more LED ones(brighter) for more $$