a muddy bloody mess

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well I was able to hunt both morning and evening yesterday. First time I've done it all season.

The ranch has been unusually wet the past 3 months which is great cause we need the rain but the clay soils we have get slick with around 0.1". The slow misting rain started yesterday morning before I woke up and only let up for an hour or two here and there yesterday during daylight.

I had lots of deer action around the food plot/feeder I was sitting at, but of course none of those deer needed to be taken this year. The deer I was looking for didn't show up.

Then all of a sudden everything slowly walked off and the action stopped. I suck around for another hour or so but only saw deer running across roads at 300 yards or farther. On my walk back to the truck, the mud under my boots made me taller with every step. It was already that muddy. The truck made it back to camp in 2 wheel drive easily enough.

I hesitantly went back for the evening hunt around 4pm as I had been working on other things since I had gotten out of the deer blind in the morning, and the rain had just started again ever so lightly. I went back to the same spot as that morning and hoped the cull buck I was hunting would come out.

Again, everything I saw was not what I was looking for. There was a lot less action than in the morning, but one of the bug guys came out so I got to watch him through the binos fire a while. I was already getting ready to get out of the deer blind but looked at my phone and saw there was still another 30 min of shooting time. I looked up from my phone and saw 2 does walking out to the middle of the plot. A minute or two later a 4.5 yr 9pt came out in a hurry headed straight for one of the does. This was still not the buck I was after but I figured he still needed to go as the others in his age class look much better. I slowly got my rifle ready and waited for him. I ended up having to hurry my shot as he would not stay still trying to get around the doe. I waited for a broad side shot that didn't have the doe as a pas through shot and placed a 90g GD right behind his left shoulder. It exited just in the muscle of his other shoulder. He turned around and ran back, made another sweeping turn and nose dived all within around 25yds. He didn't move after that. He weighed 170lbs and guys teeth show him at 4.5 years old. I took pictures back at camp as it was too muddy and wet to get any in the field plus it was getting dark. I had to put the truck in 4X4 to get back to camp without sliding off the road this time.

Pictures to come shortly

EDIT: photo at camp below. At 131 3/8" he scored around 15" more than I thought he would. We are still considering him a cull buck because of his score relative to his age but this is another one that will be a euro mount for the new house. I fully caped him too, he had a nice cape with no cuts or scrapes, no nicks on the ears, and a good size neck so I'm sure I'll get some good credit for him from the taxidermist.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice tale, sounds like a good time. Congrats, sounds like a nice buck.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice I love hunting in the rain its hell on equipment but everything seems to move more!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Updated with pictures and additional info.

Nice detailed story. Can't wait for the pics.

Who are the "bug guys"?
We have a few that range in size from 160" to around 190+" I don't post photos of them because some of them have ear tags and were born in a pen, but some don't and are 100% born and bred in the wild. Just like anything else, I might do things a little different but it's not my place and the in-laws do things the way they want, I'm just here along for the ride and luckily get to help with the hunting:D.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Season's coming to a close real quick, good job getting him down while their was still time.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice buck. Like how you posed him. Love me some paracord !

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice buck. Like how you posed him. Love me some paracord !
Ha, actually that is the nylon twine used to tie round bales. I had some in the back of my truck and just hooked it to him and lifted with the hoist. That's the only way I could think of holding him up and I didn't want to do another picture of one laying on the floor.

Season's coming to a close real quick...

Actually we have another 2 full months, we are on MLDP level 3 so we hunt until the last day of February. It's a blessing and a curse ;). By the end of deer season I don't want to see another deer again and then over the summer I can't wait for it to begin again.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ha, actually that is the nylon twine used to tie round bales. I had some in the back of my truck and just hooked it to him and lifted with the hoist. That's the only way I could think of holding him up and I didn't want to do another picture of one laying on the floor.

Actually we have another 2 full months, we are on MLDP level 3 so we hunt until the last day of February. It's a blessing and a curse ;). By the end of deer season I don't want to see another deer again and then over the summer I can't wait for it to begin again.
Enjoy it! My season ends this weekend and got a call from the landowner yeterday, he's waiting for me to be done so he can bring in a dozer..arrgg! My favorite spot is going to be done with.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dan - You're right down the road from my sweat equity hunting grounds in San Marcos. It ain't pretty, but it's 600 acres and is wide open again to me after the deer hunters leave on January 4th.

Grab your favorite pair of loppers; you can hang out the window and clip the branches on the right side of the river road on the way in, the left on the way out.

PM me and will set it up...

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well told story. You are light years ahead of the guy who pays $700 for a box hunt with a guide to holds his hand and make sure he stays the same height.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice looking buck and towards the end is always nice. Neat picture. Good goin, good vittles!! BANG BANG!!