A look *into* the Pulsar N550

Dave Morris

Here's a 9 minute video looking at and through the Pulsar N550 hunting raccoons with my Kel-Tec RFB (.308). This was my first outing with the N550, so I wasn't out there to quickly kill every raccoon I saw, but rather to exercise some of the different buttons and see what they did and why I might use each setting. I show the use of several different reticles, including one I custom designed for the Barnes VOR-TX ammo I had loaded.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ya know? Yer GONNA get me in trouble here. With this talk of hunting 'coons, and with my little distraction in my driveway last night. It's bad enough that I've got enough stealthy stuff layin' around (bows/blowgun/wrist rockets/crossbow pistol). An urban feller's gotta be careful. Yeah, I know... night optics ARE "careful"... that's my point. LOL

DennisB

SUS VENATOR CLUB
Love them Pulsar's! (And gotta hand it to you guys who can figure out how to record on them-)

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pretty good quality for the price, plus record to boot. I tried one but after looking though a gen3 it is very hard to go back. Nice work

DennisB

SUS VENATOR CLUB
I agree, Wassman--I'm up to the N750 right now, but Hunt TXHogs showed me a new gen 3 scope that he was trying out and WOW! Really clear and 3.5 magnification (I think) to boot. Still, for me the digital units get the nod for early/late daytime use--

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Dave -

Thanks for the video.

Have you experienced any video drop due to recoil?

If so what kind of RCA connection did you fashion up to secure the connection to withstand the recoil?

Thanks,

HTXH

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video! Seeing these videos keeps me on the fence about the pulsars. Was all set to get one, then I went out and actually got to use one.
It was so disappointing compared to my pvs-14. To be fair though the moon that night was only 6% but it just did not come close.
Then I see these videos and I want to get one just for the videos! Guess I would just use it on high percentage moon nights.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
You can buy an external illuminator for the n550's - a decent unit will put you out to 150 yards at night with no moon.

The n750's laser illuminator will hold its own out to 200 yards with no moonlight.

HTXH

LegendRider

Cross, South Carolina
I have been looking at the N750, but still undecided about what to do. I really would like to use one before I make such a purchase. Since most of my shots will be at 100 yards I think the N750 would be a great choice...but I keep looking at the gen 3 scopes also.

Glenn

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Pulsar does work well from what I have seen, and I did look through one once. Gen3 with a good IR, 3x magnifier and Eotech is hard to beat since you can take the Gen3 off the rifle and walk around with it mounted it to a helmet.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
a 308 for coons, I guess you are not saving the fur...LOL, cool video, I would not have your patience and would have has at least 2 of them or an empty mag!

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've had my N750 for a few months now.
No problem taking ferals out to 200 yards without any extra IR.
Here is a short video of an unfortunate raccoon who decided to visit my feeder......

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Smack down, Loved it!