A Lament from an OLD Hunter

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First this is my personal story and feelings, secondly it reflects on no one but myself...it all started w a question about if I hunted and killed things so I got to thinking.

It started 2 years ago when I was out hunting on my lease and killed a couple of hogs. First thing I do is drag to my cleaning station on the lease, hang and process them, if I remember I take pics in the field but seldom have a camera w me so normally pics are taken at the skinning rack. I am older, tired after the hunt and drag, know I have an hour or more of work ahead, then a longer drive home, more cleaning and icing down then a shower and off to bed..at over 65, 65 now I am a beat old man!

About a week before I had gone over the kill picture files on my computer and cleaned it up and organized a bit, moved some to photobucket all while watching videos of hunts from others on youtube...I love the Videos! As I did that I lamented that plain old pics were boring while the videos were the thing of the future so why was I wasting my time and energy taking an old pic anyone can do. That is when I just stopped taking pics and when I am looking at others hunting stories I prefer video and the pics are nice, I still want to see them but there are already a lot out there. Then there was a year wait from ATN for a bad product and having to send 2 of their broken scopes back and not having night vision available, that also was a blow to my motivation. Basically I was unmotivated and that is ALL on me and stinkin thinkin!

After 40+ years of hunting I am still excited about hunting but the documentation was less and less important to me as in the beginning we never took pics either. Well I am changing again and know I need to get the documentation for those that cannot get out there and do what I am Blessed to be able to do. I am betting on most forums 80% of the guys seldom get to hunt or are not in an area they can hunt 24/7/365 and I need to remember that...Someone is getting enjoyment out of it even if it is not as exciting to me with just pictures.

It is funny the way we evolve or come to a crossroad and I hope this motivates the older hunters to get out there as they can and do what is possible even though we cannot keep up w the younger guys or have the most modern equipment. I love you younger guys and what you are doing so keep me entertained! We have fewer hunts in front of us than behind us so may as well go out in a blaze of memories and glory in what we love to do, passing on our knowledge freely to others...

A Lament from an Old Hunter

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
HELL YA!! I'm wit ya. I am glad they post their catches also. I get to go hunting every time someone posts up a story here. Nice post, thanks!!! for some reason it takes a little bit more to get out there these days. BANG BANG!!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang Frank 65 that's young I always thought you were in your 90's at least!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And that folks is the difference in what most of us do with our hogs. Frank cleans them and we leave them for the yotes and buzzards. I do clean some and can tell you it does make for a long night. especially when the folks who want the meat don't want any part of the hunting/cleaning of the animal.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
+1... The last time I got a chance to go in the field (for Myself, doing stuff that'd net me a chance to bag some game...) was probably 2009 when I went duck hunting for my first time. My last elk hunt outing was 2008 when the election results were announced for this obamanation we're enduring. The last deer hunting I was able to do would've probably been 2009ish when I was able to get in some black powder time. The rest has been, some fabulous opportunities to see game while at work, but, cannot pursue.

This whole making videos is a brand new thing for me too. Finally have a nice camera to use/learn on. Don't even know where to begin with editing software and the whole rest of that either. LOL

Gotta find me a place to shoot (also) that isn't just a major PITA. The closest public place for me to use doesn't allow AR pistols, NO auto-loading from a mag when using your AR, every fool known to mankind trying to shoot. Some of their range officers are great... some... well, I go into growling/rabid bear with a toothache mode soon after they make their presence known (as only they can do), restricted to 100yds max (rifle) unless you join the membership and get to use the 300 yds range. They do have a couple of very nice archery ranges, including trail walks with real-life type shot-ops. They're just not AR friendly.

So, yes... it's a treat for the soul being able to do a little vicarious hunting through the lenses of friends I've met here. Visiting hog country is on my bucket list of things to experience.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
90? you young whipper snapper, just remember you will be here too, only to soon!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice thoughts Frank.

U got ya by 6 years !!!!!!!!!!1

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We at the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society would appreciate your feeding our feather friends.

Give back to nature, pay it forward to a deserving buzzard. Do it for the fledglings. Think of all the little chicks!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shooter, you don't say, then you know where I come from!

BRD, yes sir, the chicks will be fed but most goes to our gators around here!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice post Frank. I also have had many of those thoughts and even expressed them to my wife. I think that's why she told me to go buy my night vision so I can enjoy it while I can.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Chopper I tried to do that but got no love from ATN X-Sight, so am back to lights, I do have a gen1 and a digital monocular though for spotters.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Chopper I tried to do that but got no love from ATN X-Sight, so am back to lights, I do have a gen1 and a digital monocular though for spotters.
I have an un-used gen 1 sight mark and if light I could let go if that would work for you. The problem is you have to stay up after dark to use it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Chopper, I can afford the gen1's and some digital, would rather that go to someone who cannot afford one or for a pal to hunt with you. I think what I will do is get the 3x X sight when it is all working...but really am looking at the lower end thermals since the prices are really coming down. Very nice of you, I do appreciate the offer.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank,
Wait and get a thermal you will be happy with. There is a big difference inquality of the view. Brian has a good unit and I believe he uses it stand alone. TLM does also, and of course we all know he goes both ways !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I could not pass that up. If you get a unit you are not happy with then you gotta get another one and sell the one you have. NV is good only about half of the month and then thermal really kicks in. I still use my NV to drive, but thermal is used the rest of the time.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank,
I enjoyed your writing brother. God bless you!

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
Nice story Frank. Taking pics is all I do, NV is just not in my future.
But as my kids are getting older, I really make a point to take those pictures with my kids so I can have something to look back on. Soon they will be on their own doing their own things. Don't get to hunt often, but when I do get the chance I try to get my kids out there with me.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Arnold, that is what it is all about, the kids and family. At my age not having kids is a killer and i know I am missing out.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the kids and family are great, but just as in my case they grow up and have kids and familily of their own. I consider myself lucky to have gotten them to that part of their life with only minor speed bumps.

Last night was a good night. Peaceful and quiet, and just listened to the turkeys geese and coyotes, and what I believe was a bobcat scream. Right at the end around 21;30 a sounder of about 30, mostly piglets charged into the feeder and were having a ball. I just watched and smiled, I am really after a couple big boars that show up now and then. So they lived for another day.

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
And Frank, don't give up on your NV. I know you will have one soon and we will all be watching those videos.