A couple of first's

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I went back to the place I broke my hand at a few months back. He told me that he had a hog problem. I asked where the hogs were tearing up the most and he directed me to the back corner of the property. This place is real hilly and as I pulled up to the top of the hill I was going to hunt there were about 70 to 80 hogs right in front of me thirty yards out. They paid no attention to the Ranger until I had to set the parking brake to keep it from rolling down hill. The whole sounder took off. This is where the two first's come in.

I was testing and evaluating a new thermal unit for a dealer. I have never shot a hog under thermal. I also was using my 6.8 suppressed. I know I've been using the 5.56. I stepped out of the Ranger as I fired up the thermal. I gave it one bump to 3x and located this boar that had no fled through the fence yet. I sent a 120 SST to his shoulder and down he went. He was 180 long steps and I have long legs. He measured 42". I'm now sold on thermal and the 6.8 for hogs. Thanks Lawman as I know you will give me some grief over my caliber choice in the past.
IMGP0613.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good for you, glad the hand came back ok this time!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I really like this unit and the 6.8 with 120SST's. More to come later on what I'm using. Unfortunately I do not have the correct video cable or you could have seen the kill.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad you made the move to the 6.8!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A couple of firsts...I thought you were going to say that the rancher made you walk this time! Good Job!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
70 to 80 hogs!!! Man you need some help killing those things!!!??:) Well the one you got was a nice one. Hope to see some more in the near future and glad you got healed up and hope it heal correctly, you might have an weather gauge now?? BANG BANG!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's awesome! Very target rich environment.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the 6.8 fever. Great hog there.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats!! I woulda gotten all jacked up excited seeing 50+ pigs 30 yards away on hunt able property with a loaded gun in arms reach!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When there are that many hogs, it is hard to focus on 1 at a time to shoot. I lived in Montana and went down for an elk hunt on the river, there happened to be a migration of elk coming through. Thousands of elk, the noise was deafening almost, all talking and the young ones bleating out. I went running up into the tree line to get ahead of them and pick out a nice bull. Man, I walked away empty handed. There were so many I couldn't shoot one without shooting 2 others, I held off for a clean shot and they all went up into the forest and disappeared. It was cool to see but left me hungry.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I really like this unit and the 6.8 with 120SST's. More to come later on what I'm using. Unfortunately I do not have the correct video cable or you could have seen the kill.
Congrats!! I woulda gotten all jacked up excited seeing 50+ pigs 30 yards away on hunt able property with a loaded gun in arms reach!
The gun was laying across my lap, but the Ranger has a windshield on it and I was busted as soon as I set the brake. It was funny watching them take off at the sound of the brake setting, but I did get the last laugh on this one.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pull on the brake release while pushing on the foot pedal to be able to set the brake silently? Should by-pass that ratchet doing it that way?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Pull on the brake release while pushing on the foot pedal to be able to set the brake silently? Should by-pass that ratchet doing it that way?
Yeah I figured out later I could push the button in on top of the lever and it works quiet. LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hiney Sight... oh, that's right, it's hind-sight.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to 6.8 and great shooting. Sounds like you found the target rich environment. Next time you have mucho kills