A Couple Firsts

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An old high school buddy from up north had some training to do down in Lafayette and it wouldn't be right to drive right by our place and not do some pig hunting. We decided a Friday and Saturday night hunt would work out fine.

Buddy had been out in October but my scope decided to take a dump and I played spotter for both nights using a Pulsar 19A monocular. He got a nice boar and smaller sow over two nights using his Vampire.

After that hunt, we both committed to buying thermal scopes. this was the first opportunity for him to use his Zeus 640 42 in anger. The original plan was for him to mount the scope on his Tavor but something was jacked up with the firing pin and he went to plan B, an AR in 223.

The first night started slow as all our potential targets seemed to be down wind from us. We got busted a couple times and started taking long shots that weren't connecting. Finally, we found one upwind and with the stiff breeze in our face were able to stalk as close as we wanted. A previous target had narrowly escaped due to my poor "countdown induced" breathing control. For this next one we decided to try a "3,2, silent 1, shoot" strategy. I might have gotten off my shot a little early but it might have been a good thing as he was slow on the trigger and not very accurate at that.

Another stalk on a small sounder with about 8 pigs total. We were upwind but it was blowing at a slight diagonal away from the pigs. We were very close when one sow and 3 piglets decided to head our direction. She stops, looks at us and sniffs and we're busted. She starts trotting away and we opened up. Not sure who got the sow but probably a team effort. Buddy got a 2fer with the footballs. One other football provided some entertainment by running in a large circle squealing like a banshee. It took me a couple shots but he was dispatched. My first piglet!

IMG_3117.JPG
Another sounder of 6 decent pigs was upwind. We stalked close and got lined up. I dropped the original target and moved to target #2 on the run. One body shot then a head shot shot that got a great faceplate/tumble, another first!

IMG_3118.JPG
The last pig was a lone boar and we got pretty close. We both landed a couple shots but he still took off. I was out of ammo but Buddy kept firing and landed a face shot that blew off half his head. At least thats what it looked like in the pic. Got a nice tumble out of that one as well.

IMG_3119.JPG
Total of 12 pigs and one coyote for the 2 nights.

And if there's any question about whether pigs eat soybean sprouts.
FullSizeRender.jpg

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice haul of hogs!! Happy hunting!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We got Zest !!! Congrats on a couple of good nights with a friend! Dead critters is a good bonus!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well done...I think that one was a head shot!