95 gr Barnes TTSX Gel Test.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The bad thing with the 120SST out of a shorter barrel is the loss of velocity on an already slower bullet, I like the 110TSX better in mine except for the copper fouling

JPK

LSB Active Member
Huh, I was worried about the loss of velocity with the 110 TSXs with the 4.5" shorter barrel, but not the softer cup and core 120 SSTs. I'm guessing you think my logic is wrong?

ETA: Fwiw, I haven't chrono'd either load, but reported velocity with the SSA 110s I have is about the same as reported velocity with the Hornaday factory loads. I can tell the 120s are a relatively hotter load.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 120 starts out factory load 2460 the 110 @ 2640 so the 110 will be faster no matter, you will gain it back if you reload for the 120 or close to it, IF your gun will run it. I have lots of the last made 110TSX (paid $14 a box at closeout)but only a few boxes of the 120's left

JPK

LSB Active Member
So you chrono'd the SSA 110s? Guy on 6.8 forums were claiming chrono'd velocities of the later ammo at 2,450fps or so out of a 16" barrel, iirc.

I'm in the same boat ammo wise, and got both at $14/box.

JPK

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In my non scientific test on volunteer hog subjects the 120gr sst surpassed the 95gr and 85gr pills in both 16" and 12.7" barrels. I'm not even going to bother with the 110gr, with options like the sst and mkz that open up on impact.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No I have not, that is the stated velocity, I never saw that on the 68 forum and would highly doubt it true, I do have some 110 TTSX and they were rated 2760 They do hit where they are supposed to on a Ballistic chart though

Please chrono your latest 110TSX for us...Thanks

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In my non scientific test on volunteer hog subjects the 120gr sst surpassed the 95gr and 85gr pills in both 16" and 12.7" barrels. I'm not even going to bother with the 110gr, with options like the sst and mkz that open up on impact.

The 110 is the best of the 3, Bill Wilson swears by them, so do I, you should at least try them

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Two of my biggest kills with the 6.8 were with the factory loaded 120gr SST's. They came out of a 10.5" ,1:10 bbl. First hog killed with that gun. He was standing broadside at 50yds. Put the bullet on his shoulder. He sprinted 50yds,then came slideing to a stop. He was dead when I got to him. No kicking or squeeling. Boar that weighed 268lbs.
Second hog was hit with the same gun and load at 40yds. He was hit on the shoulder also. He went 20yds,stopped,then fell over. Boar that weighed 277lbs.
Neither of these hogs were checked for terminal ballistics. Granted . . . they kill. And at the night hunting with thermal ranges,I did not care about how flat they shot. When I switched my thermal to my 18" Bison I tried the 85gr Barnes. They were super accurate and chrono'ed . . . FAST. Another thing that I like about them is no jacket to shed . . . which every SST seemed to do.
I still have a bunch of factory Hornady 120gr SST's. My Ruger Mini-14 chambered in 6.8SPC absolutely loves them so I will keep them for that gun. --- pruhdlr

JPK

LSB Active Member
Frank,

Here is one thread where guys bitched. I don't recall if there were others. Silver State under velocity ammo problem: 85 Grn SCHP; 110 TSX

Here's an example post, "I also bought SSA 110 TSX from SPS and found it to shoot in the mid-low 2200 fps. Really shameful. This was about two deer seasons ago." No data on barrel length of chrono... Post was made 5/16, so it was 2013 or 2014 ammo.

Here's another, "I ran into this with a couple boxes of SSA 110 TSX ammo loaded by Nosler shortly after they bought SSA. It was so underpowered it would not cycle the rifle. All ammo before and since that I've tried worked fine. Nosler made good and replaced the ammo but I don't think I'll ever buy SSA or Nosler ammo again."

Maybe the guys were full of it, who knows.

If the 110gr TSX SSA ammo I have hadn't perform as well as it does I might be curious enough to go chrono it, and maybe I'll get around to it. As it is, I need to rezero my son's 10.5" 5.56, my 11.5" 6.8 with hog ammo rather than predator ammo for an upcoming hog hunting trip, and the bud that is coming with us gave me his FLIR scope to put on my 16" 6.8 so well all be shooting suppressed.

I think I'll zero my 11.5" with the SST's, it likes them and shoots them accurately. And the 16" with the TSXs, it doesn't like the SSTs anyway, and I know from experience the 110's work great from that rifle.

JPK

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 110 is the best of the 3, Bill Wilson swears by them, so do I, you should at least try them
Bill Wilson shoots one hog at a time. I can do that with a .22 I need performance.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What kind of group are you getting with SST? I think the SST will well outperform the 95gr on game. Unless you are getting something like 6" groups you should be fine within normal hunting distances.

I wish I could say I was 1/2 as good of a shot as you. However with my remmington 700 in .308 which I get 1" groups or less all day long on the bench, my kill numbers went up considerably with it. When I switch from the bench to a tripod Im not even close to what I would call steady. The 6.8 with stt's produced 2 1/2" groups at best. So Far I've had great results in groups with all kinds of ammo in the 6.8 from fmj to hornady v max to match hp. The sus hog that got me the banner was with a hornady 110 hp. All get close to 1" groups. Im very hopeful with the barnes 95 gr. If I can only see some movement on the properties I now hunt which have been barren for the last 3 months. I would say pressure on them keeps them at bay.

Last edited:

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMO . . . You guys are making too much of the groups that you can get with any given handload or factory load from bench and bag. There is no direct connection to what groups you can shoot from the bench (in that environment),and in the field,from a bipod,tripod,or offhand. Obviously in the field shooting will make you a better in the field shooter and it can't hurt your shooting from the bench.
I feel that when shooting in the field what comes into play is steadyness from rest (my problem) and lock time and/or mechanics of the trigger. A trigger with excessive pull weight/let off,creep,overtravel,and that AR gritty field is a real group opener . . . especially in the field.
My 6.8 hog guns have a Ti fireing pin and AR Gold triggers. Both of these added features seem to help me. Anyone with a "tail" on your hammer is not doing yourself a favor. Bottom line,if you do not have a superb trigger in your "field" AR it will open your groups by 2+ inches,some triggers . . double that.
Gettin' old is not kind to your once great groups either. There is a natural unsteadyness and that once smooth,controlled trigger pull is in the least,somewhat gone. I would highly reccomend you guys not get old. --- pruhdlr

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I will try to work on that last suggestion. I have noticed my shooting getting more and more sloppy even when I get more practice in.