790 pound hog caught in Texas

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, another thread on this one from a month or two back. Pen raised initially, turned loose to become feral.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
This was caught January 16th, not the same one. Still an escaped or let loose farm pig most likely. No floppy ears though that I can see in the pics.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea that is the same one RevMS family member I think his nephew.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
well damn, never looked there, since it isn't a member but a cousin not sure how it goes in that forum, but I missed it anyways, amazing hog, but not a month or two ago lol

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea unfortunately it was pen raised they did not know at the time of capture. A huge beast regardless.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
yea that thing is awesome, I'd crap myself if I ran in to something like that lol

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not sure why they had to truss him up and put him on a trailer if he was pen raised.

Seems like you could just straddle him, hang a dog on each ear and yank on their tails to steer him home.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not sure why they had to truss him up and put him on a trailer if he was pen raised.

Seems like you could just straddle him, hang a dog on each ear and yank on their tails to steer him home.

The experts say it only takes a pet hog a few weeks to go totally wild. They did some studies with tracker collars and FFA raised pigs that would eat out of your hand. I'll try to find the study again.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
he had been used to train dogs so he might have been quite smart on how to deal with humans and dogs...just too big to hide for a long time.

mt-ed

How large "could" a wild born pig get down south? Is there size somewhat limited because they just don't live that long? I find this whole feral pig thing fascinating......having never lived down south!!! Up here in MT, ranchers turn their cattle loose in the mountains each spring, but then they head back out in the fall to "try" to round them all up. Not allowed to shoot 'em, however. Pulling up on a cattle drive as it heads down the highway is a real trip!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Size is definitely determined by food source/some genetics and age. They say 5-7 yrs I believe for an average wild hog....that considering he hasn't been riddled with 6.8 or 556. Those die of lead poisoning. My friend had a pet feral sow and about 300 lbs, that just keeled over the other day at about 5 yrs old. It kind of free ranged on their property and was also given misc. food and scraps. It leaned up against the shed and just went to sleep for the last time. It looked fine and was healthy, heart just gave up I suppose.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
To get huge a pigs body (skeletal and muscular systems) has to physically mature and the pig has to be taking in more calories than it is expending in daily habits. Wild pigs can only get so big without being fed either on purpose or on accident. If they have to work for their food they are probably using more than they're eating. I'm sure genetics play a small role too, so to sum it up your looking at age, nutrition, and genetics; same thing that makes deer antlers bigger.:confused:

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Size is definitely determined by food source/some genetics and age. They say 5-7 yrs I believe for an average wild hog....that considering he hasn't been riddled with 6.8 or 556. Those die of lead poisoning. My friend had a pet feral sow and about 300 lbs, that just keeled over the other day at about 5 yrs old. It kind of free ranged on their property and was also given misc. food and scraps. It leaned up against the shed and just went to sleep for the last time. It looked fine and was healthy, heart just gave up I suppose.
was that the same hog that heard about Hillary running for president?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter