7 down with Help of NV/thermal

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg (1st pic is 2 of the piglets. 2nd pic is 1st boar. 3rd and 4th pics are the 2nd and biggest boar [#250? Forgot my measuring tape in the truck :/]. Last pic is of the momma sow of the piglets).
Met some guys on their property south of SA for a last minute night hunt. Brought my rock river 5.56 with a pulsar N750 for a guy who didn't have a gun. The land owner had his N750 on his .308 ar. I was using my pvs-14/3x magnifier on a 6.8 rock river and L-3 X200 thermal. We saw the first boar alone in the 2nd pasture we checked out. The wind was already in our faces so we stalked him to about 50 yards and counted down the shot. I thought we were shooting after 3, not on 3 so my shot was a split second late but still put a good one on him. DRT (my shot hit higher, the 308 hit lower, the guy borrowing my 5.56 forgot to turn off the safety(--you'll read about him later).
Then we went to the next pasture near a pond where we got on 3 adult pigs and some piglets. During the count down one of the guys moved their sights on the pig I had planned on taking (I could tell bc his IR light moved onto that pig) so I switched to another one about 20 yards behind and to the right just in time to get a shoulder/neck shot on 3. He dropped in his tracks and started kicking. another one to the head finished him off about 5-10 mins later. One of the sows shot was drt and the third adult ran off wounded into cover with the piglets. We followed them to the pond/cover, and scared them out of there and ended up taking out 4 piglets. We never recovered the other wounded adult.
We checked a couple other places and found 2 pigs but they were in front of a herd of cattle and in some cover and the wind was at our backs which quickly alerted them. And they disappeared into cover. It was already 4 am so we just came back in, stopping by 1 more spot on the way back but didn't see anything.
On a side note... The guy who invited me (friend of the land owner) told me he shot with his military friends a lot but never hunted. Turns out he was full of it and I didn't feel safe hunting like that with him. He didn't even know that u had to chamber a round after putting in the magazine. I constantly had to remind him to keep his finger off the trigger and put the gun back on safety. He also didn't respect my equipment when he started getting all excited. We repetitively told him to be careful with the scope, 5 minutes later he was carrying the gun in 1 hand by the scope. He tripped in the dark and jerked my gun around pretty good and then jumped into a trench about 3 feet deep holding the gun muzzle down with the stock in his right hand. He didn't land right and used the gun like a cane/crutch to catch his fall when he jumped, not stepped down into the trench and literally slammed the muzzle break with his weight on it into the dirt. I didn't realize it at the time but that move knocked the cover of the mini dvr I had on the n750 off along with a triple a battery and the SD card that had just recorded the three separate countdowns/hunts... Couldn't find them this morning and had to get back to Houston. So my video of the shots are lost.
He was a really nice guy and if it wasn't for him I never woulda had the opportunity to go, but it was still, unsafe, annoying and he really needs his dad or grandpa to take him to a range with an old pump, bolt or single action .22 rifle at 25 yards where he can start out learning the basics from step 1 like the rest of us probably did when we were 5.. This kind of hunting simply requires too much constant awareness for a newbie... Or even someone who doesn't shoot or hunt often.

All in all I had a great time though and we knocked down 7 pigs total and wounded at least 1 other. (Me getting the 2 biggest pigs--- brushes shoulder off** hah)
Big thanks to Txlawman and Jason from ident marking for helping me get set up with my pvs-14 and thermal monocular.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats to you, some fine hogs there.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great hunt and write-up. Wish I had those opportunities and equipment.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I believe the gun would have been out of his hands, too much $$ invested...that is no friend.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm glad you guys are knocking them down because all my normal sweet spots are really slow for some reason!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL there are 1101 reasons why...I am in the same position where I hunt. have to have night vision or thermal to start killing again.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great hunt...... It is way fun stalking on the ground at night.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the supportive responses. That was the first time I've been given the opportunity to hunt like that. Hopefully over time I can build a network of more local properties that will give me opportunities to hunt like that so I don't have to drive 3+ hours every time.. not that I wouldn't make the drive again in a heart beat cuz this stuff is crazy fun!
And about the inexperienced shooter, if I had it to do over again, I think you're right Frank.. I shoulda just carried both guns until it was actually time to shoot. I know I was raggin on him, but he's a nice, cool, funny dude. And he certainly wasn't doing anything intentional... Hes just from NY and thought it was normal to handle a gun the way they do on tv or in the movies. He was just excited to go hunting with the guys and was totally embracing the moment. He even wore an "everything is bigger in Texas shirt" lol...