dwa

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm waiting for my new but used 6.8 to come in. I bought into the 6.8 from watching y'all's videos and really wanting a little more ko power on the ar platform. What factory loadings are y'all using for deer and pigs.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the best factory load out there right now is the Hornady 120gr SST. I like and use the Barnes 95gr TTSX but as far as I know Wilson Combat is the only place you can get it.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use 120 sst for pigs and 110 accubond for deer.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats to you...there are not bad choices just better The 120SST for hogs and the pro hunter for deer seem to do well. The S&B for plinking is cheaper. I have the 85-95 and 110 Barnes, also the Federal 90 and 115 gr. so sometimes it is what will shoot well out of your gun and other times it may be the game you are pursuing. What rifle did you get?

dwa

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It's nothing too fancy got it on a trade.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-15-10-52-51.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-15-10-52-51.png
    568 KB · Views: 17

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow...ok what are the specs?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So you will use it stand hunting? Should be pretty accurate, I have never used one set up like that.

mc68

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have had great success with the 115 Federal Fusion MSR Ammon both deer and hogs. I can get it at several local places and is always available. The 120 Hornady SST is alo a great round. You can't go wrong with either one of these.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just got my 10 bx order of SSA Barnes 110TSX from their BOGO Vets sale!!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For deer I've been using the 115 fusions because they are ready to find, but I really like the 100 accubond tac loads from SSA. Just bought 6 boxes of 100 AB from SSA during their recent sale also. I will hopefully find out how they do on deer soon.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
SSTs and Federal fusions for me..

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have killed 1 deer with 120SST, lots of damage on the off side. 2 deer with the 115gr fusions. No blood trail. Just killed 2 with the 110 tsx. All kills were 1 shot kills with no deer making it farther than 100 yds. The last deer killed with the 110 tsx had major damage on off side shoulder, but bullet went through both shoulders and 2 ribs on its way. Like Frank said, most of the hunting bullets will do their job if they shoot well in your gun.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got one w fusion last year and there was little expansion or blood. I am thinking the neck shot w the 6.8 may be the way to go??

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The fusions did their job very nicely, but the expansion didn't leave a very large exit wound and consequently no blood trail. Internally was a different story. Both deer were devastated inside and were dead deer walking. One went about a hundred yards with a non functioning heart.

dwa

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We move around on a golf cart in wheat fields. I shoot over feeders during deer season the rest of the time humping it. I prefer a heavier gun when it comes to trying to get as accurate as possible

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We move around on a golf cart in wheat fields. I shoot over feeders during deer season the rest of the time humping it. I prefer a heavier gun when it comes to trying to get as accurate as possible

Yeah that is a personal preference, I like them short and light still 1MOA shooting. In fact my favorite 6.8 is a Bison 8.5" Pistol.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I got one w fusion last year and there was little expansion or blood. I am thinking the neck shot w the 6.8 may be the way to go??
This is my go to shot on deer when shooting from a deer stand, the truck window, or another solid shooting rest regardless of caliber, base of the neck. First shot will either DRT or drop the deer in its tracks and let you make a finishing shot for a clean quick kill.

The down side is you have a small target to hit without wounding the animal so you have to be very comfortable with your shooting ability and your shooting setup.