6.8 ASC Mag Report

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
http://www.ammosc.com/6-8-spc-15-rd-magazine/

So I took it upon myself to verify the claims and contacted ASC to send me some sample mags for testing. Within 24 hours I had a reply notifying me that they would be happy to send me 2 15 round mag via UPS. So far so good, quick reply and had the mags in my hands within a week even with the nasty weather they had up there.

The mags where packed very well and had no chance being damaged, unless it was run over by a Mack truck. The mags where individually wrapped in a sealed plastic bag. Here are some pics of the mags and how I received them.
http://

First thing I noticed that the finish was different than my older ASC mag. It has much more black not like a lighter gray with my older ASC, they also added their name and logo to one side and the SS was stamped better. The follower and spring looked identical. The floor plate was changed a little, first the new plate has a slight bow to help with retention, second the stamping was changed with their new logo. The feel of the finish is pretty slick when compared to the older finish, in fact it is the sickest feeling mag I have and even better than any of my PRI's. Overall the changes where great and visually I have nothing bad to say. Here are some more pics to give you a idea what I am seeing.

So I got right to work and preceded to measure the I.D. of the mag body's. So taking my dial calipers I measured the body's and here are the results. Within the range of the claims 2.3145 and 2.3155.

Of course that would not be enough to satisfy my curiosity so I took things a bit further. I decided to needed to make some live rounds at different OAL's and see how far I could load out too. First I decided to use a bullet with a hard tip since I would most likely be rubbing the inside of the mag, that bullet would be the 110 HPBT.

Then I needed some other mags for a comparison, so looking through my selection these are the one I wanted to put up against the ASC. With these selections I figured it would put things into perspective and indeed it did.
2-15 round ASC New from ASC
2-25 round ASC about 3 years old
1-15 round PRI Gen1
2-25 round PRI Gen1
2-10 round PRI Gen3

Instead of posting a bunch of pictures of my calipers I will put the results in the form of a chart. I did perform the test with live ammo twice and used two different calipers to make sure I was getting proper reading, well at least close as I can get with the tools I have on hand. They are in order of largest OAL to smallest OAL

PRI Gen 1 15 round 2.324"
PRI Gen 1 25 round 2.315"
New ASC 15 round (test mag from ASC) 2.312"
Old ASC 25 round 2.312"
PRI Gen 1 25 round 2.312"
New ASC 15 round (test mag from ASC) 2.311"
Old ASC 25 round 2.311"
PRI Gen 3 10 round 2.305"
PRI Gen 3 10 round 2.304"

So with this knowledge I preceded to load up some live rounds with a OAL of 2.310" and head to my private range where I can put these mags under heavy fire. I brought out 3 6.8's my Stag 7H, 10.5" Noveske pistol, and 16" Bison the only gun I ever had problems with was the 7H but that was fixed with some feedramps and never had a problem since.

First I ran 3 rounds from each mag in each gun using my regular plinking ammo which is loaded out to 2.295". I was shooting for accuracy and took my time between each shot. That went just fine all rounds feed, ejected, and held the bolt open with a empty mag.

Next was to load them up to 15 rounds with the same plinking ammo of 2.295" and only ran the two fully loaded mags through my 7H. The type of shooting I was doing with this test was under heavy fire. I pulled the trigger as fast I as could tying to jam the gun any way possible. Everything went as it should and no issues.

Now for the longer OAL rounds which where loaded out to 2.310. I loaded up them up with 5 rounds in each mag and ran them through all three guns. Again I was shooting for accuracy and took my time between each shot. Everything perform like it should and had no issues.

In Summary
I am impressed with this little $18.00 mag. The OAL is better than the current PRI gen3 and performs the same as the PRI gen3, it isn't a bad looking mag with the logo on the side and slick finish. It is a well built mag and should hold up. I am looking forward to buying more but maybe next time I will get a different color like Pink, haha just kidding I was thinking FDE. I guess I will have to wait to see if they will hold up to loading and unloading. Best of all I didn't have to do any tweaking to the mag lips which I was prepared for, but I never had to tweak any of my mags for any of my guns. I know there are a few folks that have rifles that are sensitive to bullet angle, but mine are not.

I did tell ASC to take a look into the new Six8 platform and it's new mag dimensions, saying that currently there are no lower capacity mags for the platform and would be needed for mag restricted states. I also stated that with the large dimensions there is potential for even longer OAL which most people who reload for any AR variant are looking for. He said they will look into it and pass the info to the proper people within the company who look at new products. We can only hope they come through.

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
http://www.ammosc.com/6-8-spc-15-rd-magazine/

So I took it upon myself to verify the claims and contacted ASC to send me some sample mags for testing. Within 24 hours I had a reply notifying me that they would be happy to send me 2 15 round mag via UPS. So far so good, quick reply and had the mags in my hands within a week even with the nasty weather they had up there.

The mags where packed very well and had no chance being damaged, unless it was run over by a Mack truck. The mags where individually wrapped in a sealed plastic bag. Here are some pics of the mags and how I received them.

First thing I noticed that the finish was different than my older ASC mag. It has much more black not like a lighter gray with my older ASC, they also added their name and logo to one side and the SS was stamped better. The follower and spring looked identical. The floor plate was changed a little, first the new plate has a slight bow to help with retention, second the stamping was changed with their new logo. The feel of the finish is pretty slick when compared to the older finish, in fact it is the sickest feeling mag I have and even better than any of my PRI's. Overall the changes where great and visually I have nothing bad to say. Here are some more pics to give you a idea what I am seeing.

So I got right to work and preceded to measure the I.D. of the mag body's. So taking my dial calipers I measured the body's and here are the results. Within the range of the claims 2.3145 and 2.3155.

Of course that would not be enough to satisfy my curiosity so I took things a bit further. I decided to needed to make some live rounds at different OAL's and see how far I could load out too. First I decided to use a bullet with a hard tip since I would most likely be rubbing the inside of the mag, that bullet would be the 110 HPBT.

Then I needed some other mags for a comparison, so looking through my selection these are the one I wanted to put up against the ASC. With these selections I figured it would put things into perspective and indeed it did.
2-15 round ASC New from ASC
2-25 round ASC about 3 years old
1-15 round PRI Gen1
2-25 round PRI Gen1
2-10 round PRI Gen3

Instead of posting a bunch of pictures of my calipers I will put the results in the form of a chart. I did perform the test with live ammo twice and used two different calipers to make sure I was getting proper reading, well at least close as I can get with the tools I have on hand. They are in order of largest OAL to smallest OAL

PRI Gen 1 15 round 2.324"
PRI Gen 1 25 round 2.315"
New ASC 15 round (test mag from ASC) 2.312"
Old ASC 25 round 2.312"
PRI Gen 1 25 round 2.312"
New ASC 15 round (test mag from ASC) 2.311"
Old ASC 25 round 2.311"
PRI Gen 3 10 round 2.305"
PRI Gen 3 10 round 2.304"

So with this knowledge I preceded to load up some live rounds with a OAL of 2.310" and head to my private range where I can put these mags under heavy fire. I brought out 3 6.8's my Stag 7H, 10.5" Noveske pistol, and 16" Bison the only gun I ever had problems with was the 7H but that was fixed with some feedramps and never had a problem since.

First I ran 3 rounds from each mag in each gun using my regular plinking ammo which is loaded out to 2.295". I was shooting for accuracy and took my time between each shot. That went just fine all rounds feed, ejected, and held the bolt open with a empty mag.

Next was to load them up to 15 rounds with the same plinking ammo of 2.295" and only ran the two fully loaded mags through my 7H. The type of shooting I was doing with this test was under heavy fire. I pulled the trigger as fast I as could tying to jam the gun any way possible. Everything went as it should and no issues.

Now for the longer OAL rounds which where loaded out to 2.310. I loaded up them up with 5 rounds in each mag and ran them through all three guns. Again I was shooting for accuracy and took my time between each shot. Everything perform like it should and had no issues.

In Summary
I am impressed with this little $18.00 mag. The OAL is better than the current PRI gen3 and performs the same as the PRI gen3, it isn't a bad looking mag with the logo on the side and slick finish. It is a well built mag and should hold up. I am looking forward to buying more but maybe next time I will get a different color like Pink, haha just kidding I was thinking FDE. I guess I will have to wait to see if they will hold up to loading and unloading. Best of all I didn't have to do any tweaking to the mag lips which I was prepared for, but I never had to tweak any of my mags for any of my guns. I know there are a few folks that have rifles that are sensitive to bullet angle, but mine are not.

I did tell ASC to take a look into the new Six8 platform and it's new mag dimensions, saying that currently there are no lower capacity mags for the platform and would be needed for mag restricted states. I also stated that with the large dimensions there is potential for even longer OAL which most people who reload for any AR variant are looking for. He said they will look into it and pass the info to the proper people within the company who look at new products. We can only hope they come through.

Excellent evaluation! Thanks for taking the time to post everything.

Smitty

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the work Wass! Glad to know my standard mags have been OK the whole time...I use the 5 rd for deer and the 10's for hogs, I started w them and still have all the original, I like the new ones though, never had an issue w ASC or CPD.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Wassman. I have several older ASC in both 6.8 and 5.56. Never had an issue with them. I have only loaded them to 2.290.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great write up Wassman! I have PRI and ASC 25 rounders and a few ASC 15's never had any issues and load to 2.95

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can't say it at the 6.8 forum but really don't see the point on the Lwrc new 6.8, Pmags who cares for the price and you cannot interchange parts, a 30 rd mag and that is all you get. Unless you want a piston gun I just don't see the reason for a higher priced for a DI gun...sorry.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can't say it at the 6.8 forum but really don't see the point on the Lwrc new 6.8, Pmags who cares for the price and you cannot interchange parts, a 30 rd mag and that is all you get. Unless you want a piston gun I just don't see the reason for a higher priced for a DI gun...sorry.

Gotta admit though it is pretty cool to have a platform developed just for the 6.8. Agreed they are overpriced , but as most of these things they are at first. That still isn't going to stop me form getting one, but over 2K for a AR is way too much. So building one is the next best thing.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine is plenty reliable and unless I am going into battle it is really no issue...hey i had issues w what the gooberment gave me in Vietnam. I tend to stay away from new or proprietary products especially at these price points. These are $600 a set, basically costing me $400 more than what I pay now to get something I cannot even use the only mags they make for them...I think there are people who like the newest toy, I don't ever see this as becoming more than a fad for a few people.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine is plenty reliable and unless I am going into battle it is really no issue...hey i had issues w what the gooberment gave me in Vietnam. I tend to stay away from new or proprietary products especially at these price points. These are $600 a set, basically costing me $400 more than what I pay now to get something I cannot even use the only mags they make for them...I think there are people who like the newest toy, I don't ever see this as becoming more than a fad for a few people.

Actually they are not that much more when compared to other high quality receivers that have ambi bolt controls. For example for a upper and lower from seekins is about $500 less shipping and transfer cost. So the price is just about right when compared to other receivers on the market today. Comparing standard to these are like comparing a Chevy corvette to a Ferrari 550.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I cannot afford either one...LOL

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are the ASC a lap joint/spot weld, or are they a butt joint? Thanks for the info on 'em.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, kinda what I figured. A butt joint/weld would allow for just that much more room inside.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My ACS mags work extremely well in my 7.62x39 upper. Great to know that if I need anymore 6.8 mags I can get cheaper. Have a bunch of PRI. Oh well

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very thorough young man, thanks