454 Casull

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
anybody have experience with this round? Espically In a rifle. I'm looking to buy a new brush gun. Ideally I want a round that won't pass through a hog as there could be dogs behind the hog but that doesn't always work out. I use a 30-30 now but I want to get another lever action rifle. I'd really like to get a 45-70 but bullets for them are around 30 a box and this gun gets shot almost as much as my 6.8

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have a friend with one that he has had for years and if I remember correctly those bullets are not cheap either. That is a heck of a gun to be shooting at hogs with possible dogs around, if you missed the hog the noise would probably scare them to death. :) I would think there is a better one out there than a 454. BANG BANG!!

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah that's what I just saw, only a few bucks cheaper than a 45-70. I think a good heavy lead bullet wouldn't go through a hog

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Maybe a 44 mag lever gun? Cheaper ammo, but still a big bullet that may not pass through as easily as a 30-30. Just spit balling here

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just got rid of my Marlin Guide gun in 45-70. It was fun having a big bore lever gun and I dumped a few hogs with it and a couple deer. It is expensive to shoot and does not perform the way one would think. Real life results for me were less than impressive, consistently. The cost was impressive however.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think a 44mag and use the 300XTP from Hornady or make your own would be the ticket. I use the 240XTP's in my Ruger carbine, they are devastating and generally don't pass thru.

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How's the accuracy out to 100 yards on the 44?

Knock down power on a running hog too?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dead on I would say to 125-150yds, I killed 10 hogs in Fl before getting my 6.8 all were drt. The 300gr XTP would be deadly to 100yds

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I bought an older marlin 1894 in 44 mag for my dad a couple of years ago. With most of the hands loads I fed it the norm was slightly over moa or less. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on hogs with a 240 or 300 grain Hornady xtp.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
458 Socom, not the cheapest to shoot, what is cheaper is the 450 Bushmaster, used to buy the uppers for $515, but then they caught on

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave that'd be nice if they made it in a lever gun!

Waiting for txlawman to chime in as I know he was shooting hogs with a 45-70 at one point.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
yea Colby, I've wanted to get one of the compact 45-70's for awhile, just haven't jumped at it, but a 450 Bushy with 16" and open sights or a red dot would be nice, but riding on a horse a lever gun would be best

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love my 45/70 guide gun stopped using it for three reasons, 1 only 7 shots, 2 muzzle rise slows follow up shots, 3 not night vision friendly. I reloaded so ammo cost was not bad and I could make a better load since factory ammo is loaded for the 1800's 45/70 rifles. Also used the 405gr bullets and I got a ton of penetration.

May want to get a 45 acp or something like that.

When I get home I'll try to find the ballistic gel test I did. Used a cast lead 405 gr and a remington jacketed soft point penetration was impressive hard to stop that mass.

I killed 4 hogs one shot with an anemic remington factory 405 gr.

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
Ive been shooting a .454 hand gun for a few years. Its to much bullet for what you want to do. It will pass through.

I love my Marlin 45/70 1895GBL!!

Go with the .44 or .45

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It may be overkill and too expensive, but Underwood now has a +P+ 340gr WFNGC .44mag offering, along with several other full power loads. I recently picked up a Marlin 1894 .44mag - haven't hunted with it but it's fun to shoot. If I went Marlin I'd get an older JM stamped gun.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a Rossi 454 casull lever action. I took it to the range and adjusted the sights a little and right now im loading 250gr XTP's and im shooting about 1" left of center at 100 yards with iron sights. That thing is awesome to shoot. only thing i have shot with it so far is a racoon and it just devistated that coon. awesome riflr and its still light. Its not as light as my 357 but its still nice