400 lb hog with a cross bow?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Did you get a chance at him yet?

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Results.... We checked cameras at 3 feeders and the bad boy is still making the rounds. However, I believe that setting a pop up blind 30+ yds from a bait spot for bow hunting is a waste of time. The cameras showed great deer and hog activity dusk, dawn & night, but only when we were not present in our pop ups. We were obviously busted every time by both deer and hogs. I had an opportunity to pop a large gobbler yesterday morning with the cross bow. I took the shot. All 8 gobblers startled for a moment, then slowly walked away as if they were bored. I assumed that I had missed but the arrow indicated a pass thru. This was a broad head bolt cutter tipped arrow. I searched the area and never found the turkey. I will wait for November and post pics after me and my Mosin Nagant take a few. This bow hunting experience was too frustrating and I welcome gun season next month.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Scent control and stand placement are extremely important when bow hunting. Having a good idea of what direction animals will approach the feeder or trail is important to. It's tough.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I'm fabricating a few 10 ft tall steel frame bow stands this weekend. One for me and one for the landowner. We both want to have a dependable option for using a bow. Like Afalex1 said, I think that a much less obvious position above the ground will make all the difference. Their approach direction is consistent so wind direction will be the variable. Ill post pics of the stand once it's in place in early November. I will also use my Savage .223 with night vision for head shots on hogs from that position at night. Hopefully that 400 lb boar is still hanging around.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Spent much of my life in tree stands bow hunting. Getting off the ground has many benefits but a big one is your scent gets carried away if high enough. As for turkeys a bow hit needs to be at base of the neck where the vitals are or head shots. So much fun but frustrating too, that's a tough shot. We shot those hoops at them and then those head chopper things at them, what a riot. Hope you get redemption later!