.308 Hornady 168 ELDX long range, bang flop, @ 1...... yards.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is nothing like taking a long range shot with a hand loaded round. This new ELD Bullet by Hornady is the bomb.

I worked in and out of the rain all day yesterday, and was sad I wouldn't be able to go out to cruse the hayfields in search of hogs. Sigh the rain continued today on and off in the Austin area.

Around about 3 pm I thought to setup a hog barrel, and game cam on the easement road. Its been months since the unfortunate premature fire situation with lonepunman on the road, and I figured the Hogs may be settled down a bit and felt assured all was clear to cross the road. Not to mention it gave me the opportunity to hunt out of the truck again.

After a quick run to Acadamy and Lowes for corn and a chain. It was a mad dash to get a barrel put together and in position before sundown. With a spot already picked out that has had plenty of past traffic, and 3 trails leading out of the brush close to the position, I pounded the 4' pipe into the ground and dropped the 2" ring at the end of the chain over the pipe. With lots of extra corn & creap calf feed tossed all around the barrel I was set.

FF back to the house to grab the gun and gear and a quick bite to eat. In the truck I setup the Rem 700 .308 on the bench in the back of the truck. I've already spent much of the day watching videos on "long range shooting 101 on youtube, and toted along my tablet to continue watching the series.

With the display turned down as low as it would go, I spent the next 2 hours going back and forth between watching the tablet from the floor of the truck and my thermal scope. In the first hour 30 min apart 2 coons cross the road 30 yards away from the feeder, and disappear into the brush. Then just as Rex was getting into the good stuff about choosing a scope for long range shooting I took another peak in the Thermal, and right there on the edge of the road was a Yote. I think to myself "there is no way Im passing this up".

Just then he starts waking towards the brush only 3 yards away. I quickly adjust as Im pulling off the safety and pull the trigger. Bang.... Flop. He dropped right in his tracks. I have to admit I was a bit shocked. He was the first yote I've actually done that on. Many run, most all jump spin and at least flop around. He just dropped. I waited about 20 min before I exited the truck to investigate.

Upon arriving It was clear why the simple dead drop. It ended up being a head shot, popping eyes and all. No pigs but at least I didn't come home empty handed. Oh ya, he was about only 125 yards from the truck.

1ayote.jpg

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Would you look at that! He has blew eyes. Nice job Dave! It's somehow satisfying to kill a deer, rabbit, turkey, (insert favorite game) killer.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tibaurasoauras Rex is the man! Good job on the yote! Eye yie yie!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bang flops are great !!! Congrats.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job!! and no dirt clods hurt in the making of this film!