300BLK Hog

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Fixin' to do some deer depredation(got 50 tags)so did not want to have to explain to the wardens that my 10.5" 6.8 is LEGAL as long as I do not shoulder it,sooooooo.... switched my thermal over to my new'ish RARR chambered in 300BLK. From what people have been telling me the bullets will simply bounce off animals,and in fact had to use rice paper to sight it in as the bullets were bouncing off(and leaving no mark) on regular target paper.

Was watching some fields that were planted with cotton this year after being in peanuts last year. The hogs are still coming to get the peanuts that are under ground and have been fermented. We saw this hog earlier in the night but could not get in front of him to cut him off. He was moving to the feeding areas at a steady fast'ish walk.

A couple of hours later we saw him in the extreme corner of a cotton field some 450yds away. At first we thought it could have been a deer as he was in the 14" cotton and we could not get a good enough view of the heat signature. I figured that I would close the distance,as we normally have to do,to positive ID the animal.

When I got another 100yds closer I could tell that it was not a deer and I continued with the forward stalk. He was just out of the cotton by now and moving to my left. I had to do some moving to get in front of him plus position myself so as to not shoot towards some farm buildings. After about 20 minutes I got into his intended path,set up my Primos Trigger Stick(bipod),adjusted my thermal for a close shot ........ and just waited.

After another 10 minutes or so he was still feeding along directly at me. The moon was out bright but I was dressed in all black with head wrap and face mask. When he got to about 20yds I put a 110gr Barnes TAC-X on the side of his noggin. After 10 seconds of the CNS kick he was DRT. You can see the bullet hole in the pic ... between his eye and ear. This hog put us over a ton(2000lbs)of hogs that we have taken from this set of fields.

A 225lb boar ... smallish cutters ... fat but healthy ... no smell. Donated him to a needy family. Will eat well. --- pruhdlrimagejpeg_0.jpg DSC01072.JPG

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice, healthy looking hog there.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good stuff. What scope is that?

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The thermal sight is a ATN ThOR .. 320 .. 3X .. 60hz. Had it for about a year now and it has been great so far. It origionally started out on top of my 6.8SPCII,18" Bison,then to my 10.5" 6.8,and now to the Ruger as seen above.

With it I can quite easily detect a deer or hog at the end of one of the bigger fields that we hunt that is 800+ yds long. Can tell the difference between a hog,deer,or coyote at 450 yds if the target animal is in the open and is feeding. The "tell" is a deer has a neck and legs. We commonly refer to this because at the further distances this is how we determine weather to put on a stalk,or not. Initially,if we cannot tell,we watch until the deer raises it's head which they do quite often. A hog will not raise his head beyond the horizonal.

My gun will shoot the Barnes 110gr TAC-X bullets at 2400fps into groups like pictured .332"(5 shots) at 50yds. This gun also comes in 5.56X45 which will be my next gun. Wish they chambered it in 6.8SPCII with 10 twist. --- pruhdlrDSC01068.JPG

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Cool. Lol on the 300blk! I still have my Zeus on my 300. No its not a Death Star but with those 110s it does a good job on hogs and is better on deer. All the hate and vitriolic anger directed at an inanimate cartridge.........I don't get it. I'd move the thermal to my 6.8 but I put a big accupoint on it and it's too wickedly accurate to screw with.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Hog, Nice gun and nice shootin' !!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A very nice big hog good looking rifle.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We have killed quite a few hogs over this way using the 300BLK chambering. In a SBR I feel that the already somewhat slow velocity is lessened to a degree that even the bullets that are normally used for the BO do not expand adaquately. The Barnes 110gr TAC-X will expand reliabily down to 1300fps. Some of the other bullets used will expand reliabily down to 1800fps.

This is why (IMO) a light for caliber bullet is needed for hunting with the BO. 130gr flat base bullets are about the heaviest that can be used and driven fast enough to expand adaquately for a fast kill. The flat base is needed for powder capacity. The loading density of most of our BO loads are 98-110%. This,even with the 110gr bullets.

I have no use for a AR chambered in BO. To me the single shots and bolt guns give the shooter more choices in bullet and powder. Especially the single shots where you do not have to seat to mag length. Gotta say though ..... I have been standing side by side with guys that have slayed hogs using a AR/SBR chambered in BO. --- pruhdlr

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang that is a dandy hog!! Way to go and so close too!!!:) Nice going!! BANG BANG!!

chthump

LSB Member
Nice hog, good shootin, no pig likes to get shot with anything. I've killed many with a 22LR. I did sight it in with toilet paper (of course) before I went hunting.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shooting. I have been tempted with a BO but just don't want another caliber to load. I hate the caliber wars on some of the other sites. If someone wants to shoot X let em at it. They are all effective within their given limitations. Good shooting is good shooting no matter what size pill you throw. Good on ya.

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
...nice hog! With all this talk about "calibre X or Y" I'll just stick with my trusty .308 since I am an old almost 60yr old fart that still adheres to my one shot one kill training and save my quarters for one of those fancy "see in the dark" newfangled devices I see you guys are hunting with! Seriously though, the .300BO round in my good eye is a round you might want to use if you are using a can, but other than that I have no interest in hearing a "click...then wait for it...wait for it...SMACK" when I shoot a pig.

Flir-D-Lee

Join the pig Jihad
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't get the "poo poo" of the .300 BO. We have killed 100's of pigs with this round .
( bolt gun & AR platform ) Probably have lost or not recovered a dozen that were hit.
Heck, I've lost pigs that were shot with my .300 Wby Mag. I think a lot of it has to do with the bullet.
The Barnes Tac-x in 110 or 130 is definitely the best I've tried for hogs or deer. I don't shoot sub-sonic
at animals. I will however shoot pigs in a trap at 10-15 yds with subs simply because we try to keep
the noise down as much as possible. All I know is,of the 3-400 hogs we've killed the past 3 years
more were killed with the BO than all the others combined. ( 30-06,308,5.56,22-250 & .300 Mag)
With all that said, I am no .300 BO crusader. I have a 6.8 that I have yet to shoot at a pig.
Maybe i'll get my chance this weekend.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Most of the negativity towards the round is based upon the dealings of the person initially behind the caliber. If you knew the history of the behavior, you'd get it. As a result, (since, last I heard he was also a ranking person with AAC) I will not own anything AAC either. His behavior was so offensive, he got himself banned from a number of forums. For me, accepting/buying his "Pet" is to condone his behavior... ain't happening. Hence, my reference to it as the .300WTF, or the .300BarrackObama.

chthump

LSB Member
Ratdog68, So if you shoot 300BO, your a left wing liberal carry the rainbow flag. Just poking fun, I don't know the history of the 300BO.
I may have to go shoot all my 300BO and purge my ammo supply (or ,raid the compound and destroy the arsenals and stockpiles weapons and ammo).

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I own two weapons chambered in 300BLK,I shop at Wal Mart and buy the things made in China,sometimes I get gas at a Citgo station.

A 300BLK is not the killer that the 300Win Mag is,a 300Win Mag is not the killer that the 416Rigby is,etc,etc.

I could post pic after pic,after pic of the hogs that we have made a one shot kill on .... with a 300BLK ..... some in a SBR configuration. To me (IMO) it is all about bullet design and shot placement. ---- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When advising people against the 300BO for hogs its not to trash the caliber its to let them know there are by far superior calibers for the job. People including myself have killed hogs with .22lr and pellet guns. If all I had was a 300bo I would hunt with it all day long, I'm just fortunate enough to have access to better calibers that's all.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When advising people against the 300BO for hogs its not to trash the caliber its to let them know there are by far superior calibers for the job. People including myself have killed hogs with .22lr and pellet guns. If all I had was a 300bo I would hunt with it all day long, I'm just fortunate enough to have access to better calibers that's all.
And personally i value the advice of TLM and others with more experience than i have, so when it was time to move up from 556 i went with their advice and ended up with a caliber i'm thrilled with in the 6.8. So i am appreciative of the guidance. No experience with 300BO so i can't comment on it.