.22HMR vs .17WSM

BellyUpFish

I'm looking at hunting on some management areas until I can hopefully find some private land to hunt..

Management areas are as most you probably know, stupidly restrictive on caliber usage.

Basically I'm left using .22 cal or smaller rimfire for most of the time.

So.. I'm looking at these two being the top of the "too weak to really be hunting pigs" caliber.

What would you guys pick between these two?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know a guy that shoots a lot of hogs with his 17 wsm, He owns the ranch next to where I trap/hunt.
Only issue with them is that the plastic stocks that they all come with are thin in areas and flex which can affect accuracy. Really need to upgrade to an aftermarket stock.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And I assume you meant 22 mag(wmr) and meant to say 17wsm and not 17 hmr. The wsm 17 is a magnum and quite a bit more "oomph" than a 17hmr.

BellyUpFish

And I assume you meant 22 mag(wmr) and meant to say 17wsm and not 17 hmr. The wsm 17 is a magnum and quite a bit more "oomph" than a 17hmr.

Yes, I totally wrecked that. Too many calibers on the brain.

.22WMR vs .17WSM.

Obviously shot placement is critical, but of the 2, which would you guys be more comfortable with?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
17 wsm. I have shot a lot of stuff with 22 mag, it is ok but that's all it is really.
17 wsm has some "crack" to it!

Drift

LSB Member
When I was in high school I upgraded to a 22mag just so I could hunt pigs. A 100 yards, a 22mag, a head shot, never any problems. Not so much effective if the pig was >150 lbs and it was a shoulder shot. I would hunt pigs with the 22mag again if need be. I have no experience with .17 calibers.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have both and would choose the 22 mag over the 17 for hogs.