1st & 2nd blood, Rem 700 .308

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I reached a decision I needed to slow down a bit, and work harder at making my shots count. The Sig AK was fun, but it was just to easy to keep pulling the trigger at a running hog that was missed on the first shot.

After doing a bit of home work, I decided on a Remmington 700 .308 20" heavy barrel. Out of the box, its sub-moa @ 1/2" groups, with Hornady 168 gr bthp. The simple idea was to put a bit more distance between me and the hogs and still make the shot.

My first night out was almost painful. I had most of 300 acres to scan with the zues thermal, and the only hogs in sight were on the wrong side of the fence. On and off for over an hour and a half I watched them mill around and cross a 500 yard field. Twice I left the a spot I had spread out some corn to try and coax a small lone boar out to feed i had seen the night before.

After my 2nd trek out, I looked back to the feed spot, and was jazzed when I spotted that the sounder had moved within 25 yards of the spot. After stocking back 300 yards I discovered it was only the neighbors cows that had bedded down for the night. After 200 more yards I got back to the truck & I spotted the sounder just beyond and mixed within the cows. Another 30 min passed before the first sow crossed the fence into the feed plot. Then the sound you want to hear, the food is here squeal. Within seconds 10 more hogs had crossed the fence line into the feed spot. Just after the squeal I repositioned within 10 ft of the fence. The moment of truth had arrived. The plan was to take a medium sized sow to harvest the ham's for smoking.

I have to admit, my heart was pounding. Unsure of my skills at working the bolt with so many hogs in front of me, fearing one would charge, & only 4 more rounds in the gun, I decided after taking a shot I would head for the truck for safe cover.

Once setup on the trigger stick tripod, I took aim behind the ear of a med sized hog, and pulled the trigger. Without even checking, I made a b-line to the tuck 20 ft away. After a quick scan, most of the hogs crossed back across the fence, but 3 large ones headed east and then north across the hay field. The thought that came to mind was "And there off". The 3 were running in a direction I knew I had very safe shooting, I positioned on the roof of the cab and started working the bolt. I have to admit there is nothing better then throwing rounds at a hog in full escape mode.

Without making contact with the running hogs, I panned back to the feed spot, and sure enough I had a downed hog.

281vln5.jpg

The feeling was indescribable. I aimed at the neck behind the ear and hit the spot. Ill mention the finished smoked ham was great too. Props to Tom!

2nd blood was almost as exciting. I headed out to another hay field Fri night, and spotted motion near the river bank. After an hour of investigation I had no positive target. I returned Sat night and positioned paralleled along the river bank sighted west 400 yards from the neighbors fence line looking strait west. Over 45 min passed without movement much less a squeak or a grunt. Then all of a sudden, movement heading SE from the fence-line. After moving 50 yards or so closer and waiting for the lone boar to cross a point to make a safe shot i took aim and pulled the trigger.

Boom, he was down. After doing the TD dance, and re-scanning the field I marked the place I took the shot and headed in. After 50 yards I checked and saw he was back up and moving, 2 more shots & hits he was down for good. Without a tape Id guess he was about 200 lbs.

2vx5dt3.jpg

All said and done. Im satisfied with my investment.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice! Good shooting.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job, I love a bolt action too! I only use it for long shot areas now but fun times.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Definitely something to be said for taking the time to make the shot count. Congrats, nice pair of hogs there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That 308 will but them down...good shooting! Great story!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hogs and good shootn.