198 lb. Boar Down...Finally

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been going after this guy, hard, for just over 2 weeks. I had managed to see him a total of 4 times, two previous times when I didn't get a chance to shoot him and then twice last night, first when he came by early on but would not come out into the open, and then three hours later when he did.

This boar appeared to have been hunted before and would readily spook because of strange noises or movements, and I assume also strange smells. He did an excellent job of avoiding myself, Ken, and Bob and his son who have all sat for this hog. We played the wind from different directions, sat in different stands across the property, came early, came late, based on whatever the hog was doing and he would simply do something else.

This evening, the hog came in right before 9:00. I heard him coming as he made a lot of noise. Wind was out of the north and he approached from the south and so I figured I was busted. He circled behind me twice and moved off to the east where I could just see him if I twisted around as far as I could in the stand, but could not get a rifle on him. He meandered about in the area behind me for about 20 minutes before moving off to the east and a little while later, I started receiving images from my east feeder where he was snarfing up corn with the coons. I opted to wait him out.

Just after midnight, he appeared, entering from the northwest. I got my rifle on him and go the new DVR turned on and took the shot. I have not worked with this DVR much and probably didn't time the short boot-up sequence very well because I shot just after it starting recording. The DVR gives a buzz to let you know when it is recording and I would have sworn that several seconds passed, but that was apparently the adrenaline keeping time.

I fired. The shot entered the right shoulder, just forward of the shoulder blade at the neck and exited the left shoulder. The 6.5 Grendel Hornady 123 gr. SST round tore a 3 point star out of the left shoulder more than 2.5" across. It was fairly impressive. Even more impressive was the self sealing capability of the boar's shield. Neither the entry or exit wounds bled.

In the video, when you hear the shot, you will also hear a ring sound. That is actually the flash suppressor on my barrel. I have decided it is annoying, LOL, but am not sure what to do about it.

The boar dropped in place, DRT. Cookies will be purchased by the time the kids get out of school. Angry Bird was pleased.
100_1895reduced.JPG 100_1899reduced.JPG

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Loved it Brian, Angry Bird on top, cookies for the kids! That boy has some cutters!, good job! What is that RING? really weird

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can actually thump the flash suppressor with my finger, you know, like you would thump a watermelon to see if it is ripe, and the barrel will ring, just not as loud. I have never heard of this happening before, so I am perplexed.

Any misgivings I had about 6.5 Grendel are gone now after seeing it go through this hog.

Oh, and TLM, you will appreciate this. I taped this guy in the field and he came in as 210. I could not get him in the back of my truck and so I drug him around until I found a good tree with a branch that would allow me to hoist him with a come-along and so I added the scale to the lift. He came in at 198, so a 6% error.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good job Brian.

My vortex flashiders ring when the are thumped or shot. Its because the prongs are all evenly and accurately cut, which makes them harmonically balanced like a tuning fork.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can actually thump the flash suppressor with my finger, you know, like you would thump a watermelon to see if it is ripe, and the barrel will ring, just not as loud. I have never heard of this happening before, so I am perplexed.

Any misgivings I had about 6.5 Grendel are gone now after seeing it go through this hog.

Oh, and TLM, you will appreciate this. I taped this guy in the field and he came in as 210. I could not get him in the back of my truck and so I drug him around until I found a good tree with a branch that would allow me to hoist him with a come-along and so I added the scale to the lift. He came in at 198, so a 6% error.

I'm sure he lost that 6% in body fluids.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great hog, and tale Brian. Those cutters look formidable. Cookies for the kids, always a good thing.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ah, shucks! Thank you. Feeling good, too!

So the hog got donated to a buddy and I just got a call about how the butchering went. The shield on the boar was only about 1/2" thick. The Hornady SST 123 gr. opened almost immediately on entry. The jacket separated from the core and most of the jacket was found intact in the cavity and the core apparently is what exited. Separation/disintegration is what I have noticed on two previous hogs with this ammo. In one case, could not blame the ammo as it went through the head of one pig and then into another, LOL.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to go Brian!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
lol, true, have to get out and hunt, have the kids play with the hogs

only thing I would have liked in the video is a little more of the hog walking up on the feeder prior or walking around prior to the shot