#12 Hog with Berger VLD-Hunting

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

No necropsy this time. Sorry. This hog is off to be butchered for consumption and in the warm temps, it was more important to deliver the hog than to cut it apart for the sake of knowledge.

As usual, the Berger VLD-Hunting round overpenetrated and as usual, appeared to fragment in the process. I found it really interesting that the sow had two very distinct exit wounds. It looked like she had two FMJ exit wounds, but there was only one shot.

The landowner thought he heard the sound of an impact on the piglet. I saw no indication of a hit on its running. We did look for it, but it apparently mad it into the woods with the poison ivy. I would be surprised if it was hit.

I like these daylight hogs. It seems strange to be able to just see them right there out in the open with the unaided eye, LOL.

I thought this was pretty funny. I got in the stand and did my usual check-in with the wife, included a few pics of the hogs on game camera and about as soon as she replied, the hogs showed up...

Screenshot_20160521-224102crop.png

We still have some cookie dough from Wednesday's hog, but that means I will be fixing cookies in the morning!

And for those of you who don't know it, Angry Bird has a new movie out. I haven't seen it yet, but he assures me that it is good.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like those daylight hogs!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This was pretty cool and something I am just learning about. The sow was all speckled and scratched and my initial fear was that she had something wrong with her. She did, not nothing abnormal. These are the marks of the needle teeth of the piglets. They will often pierce and cut the skin when they feed. The white marks show the recent activity. A few had tiny open wounds (which I assumed were bug bites, at the time), indicating that this was an ongoing issue.

Marks%20from%20needle%20teeth%20of%20piglets.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another man who's a fan of the Rope Ratchets. I use mine daily. Love 'em, quick to use and secure for general use loads.

Nice sow there.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow! Good eye there Ratdog! I have had that one since I got the truck in 2007. I don't know why the rope hasn't rotted away. I leave it in the bed and use it to secure everything and anything. Much easier to use than many other sorts of tie downs.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, they're great. I have 'em in three sizes/weights of line. The sweet part is... just buy a length of line the size you need and it's two knots to expand it for longer than what they provide in the package.

D

djones

very nice. angry bird and i are both jealous we weren't there.

ps - i think scrambler's ex has similar teeth marks on her buttock