#11 Hog Shot with Berger VLD-Hunting

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know how it is in the rest of the state, but here in north Texas, the buffalo gnats (AKA black flies) are absolutely terrible out in the wilds. If you are out before dark, they will eat you alive and DEET does not seem to do much to slow them down. I scouted the property and then took pictures later while wearing my shooting muffs, solely for the purpose of keeping those buggers out of my ears! In the stand, however, Thermacell did a good job of keeping them at bay.

So I walked in and headed to check my favorite area at TBR and found very fresh tracks. Checked the camera and turned to go check the rubbing post Mr. TBR had set up and I saw hogs dash into the woods, only about 25 yards from me. They weren't there when I approached the game camera, but apparently showed up while I was checking the card. Wow.

Fortunately, one of the hogs gave me a second chance.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good day light hog down!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
very informative. thanks Brian

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What is it with you Texans? First DJ posts a video the other day of him almost running over hogs and now you post a video of shooting them from the cab of your truck? If I wasn't so impressed with both of your hog hunting skills, I might actually get mad at you two.

D

djones

i think you may be more dangerous with a knife than with a rifle.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What is it with you Texans? First DJ posts a video the other day of him almost running over hogs and now you post a video of shooting them from the cab of your truck? If I wasn't so impressed with both of your hog hunting skills, I might actually get mad at you two.

Can't tell if serious.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

LOL, I was in a box stand. I only butchered in the back of the truck. DJ just showing how to be a road hog. Nothing to be mad about. ;)

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, I was in a box stand. I only butchered in the back of the truck. DJ just showing how to be a road hog. Nothing to be mad about. ;)

Gotcha! DJ is still a road hog...

I tried running over 4 piglets in my F150 a few years ago. Those little buggers have the footwork of Walter Payton! I failed miserably.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice video and report Brian. As far as the buffalo gnats go, vanilla extract thinned some with water does a great job of keeping them away. As long as you don't mind smelling like a vanilla malt. Put it in a spray bottle and spray exposed skin. Re-apply if you sweat heavily.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video and report Brian. As far as the buffalo gnats go, vanilla extract thinned some with water does a great job of keeping them away. As long as you don't mind smelling like a vanilla malt. Put it in a spray bottle and spray exposed skin. Re-apply if you sweat heavily.

IF? You are kidding, right? I'll need to pull one of those misting machines behind me, full of the stuff, as I hike into the stand!

Worth a shot. Thank you!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah, I sweat sitting still this time of year. Since its water based, it comes off easily. The good thing is it won't stain or leave residue. When trying to play golf in north TX, if you didn't use this stuff, you were miserable. Those suckers drink deet as a sports drink.

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
An excellent video of what your bullet can do thanks for the carving.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Brian. Around here I don't have to deal with gnats but the skeeters are huge and relentless....they have stripes like a zebra...maybe they are baby zebras actually.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video Brian, interesting terminal ballistics report as always. Good shot too!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That two-timing feathered fiend. Angry Bird's baling on ya, huh?

Nice hog, great work from that bullet too. Congrats.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Okay, the wife got me a sprayer bottle with a trigger safety and I mixed the concentration to look about like good southern tea. I went out to my place to fill feeders and service cameras. I screwed up the experiment by putting on the stuff before getting in the woods, so I don't know how bad the gnats would be. HOWEVER, the gnats did not bother me! I was out over an hour, filled 4 feeders, took care of 3 cameras, and even did some checking for sign and didn't reapply. It was only toward the end that I started to notice a couple of gnats, but even then none bit me. Maybe I will field test again tonight. THANK YOU!

Oh, and it smells better and tastes better than OFF!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did he just admit to using OFF as breath spray? ;)