10 Down in Montague County

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know it is going to be a good hunt when your first kill comes before you even take out the rifles!

Dave Krebs took me hunting in Montague County to several properties where he does hog and predator control. It was a beautiful evening, temps in the low 80s with a nice breeze. I don't have a lot of the usual data this time as this was just a fun hunt. However, for those who are interested, I am shooting my normal 6.5 Grendel with Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo and Armasight Zeus thermal sight. Dave was initially shooting a 7.62x39 AR15 with a new Sig Sauer Echo 1 thermal reflex sight and later changed to a 6.5 Grendel with an IR Hunter MKII 2.5x thermal sight.

I now refer to Dave Krebs as Dave "Cardio" Krebs. We made some very long stalks and Cardio's mindset is something like this..."The hogs are over there and we are over here and so the more time we are over here the less time we can be shooting hogs over there." So any time that we could move in high gear, we moved in high gear and we moved in high gear a LOT. No time got wasted debating strategies or goals. It was simple. We go over there and we shoot them and we don't shoot the livestock. This made for very pleasant, if not breathless, hunting.

The video is a little longer than normal, but that is because there are multiple shooting sequences and the last one was rather complex. I tried to edit it down far enough without losing the situational context.

No necropsy this time!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Indeed... a fun hunt!! At first, almost looked like a Javelina that ya slayed with the truck. Can't have anything bad to say about that many dead hogs for one night's outing. Any "open season on pigs" jokes when the flashing lights lit up? LOL

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
awesome video and good string of hogs! Hopefully no traffic tickets!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
gshock, we were at least 700 yards out when the deputy lit up Cardio's truck, that was parked in the entry way to the property, but outside of the gate. That guy waited the 15-20 minutes it took us to get back. Not exactly sure why he stopped to check out the truck other than he wasn't busy and he hadn't seen it parked there earlier. Nice deputy. Cardio and he chatted for a while and I had a chance to catch my breath and rehydrate.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck of a video!! Loved hearing them bullets whack those porkers!! Nice stuff, way to go guys!! BANG BANG!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Hog Movie...it was good!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That looked like fun!
Good job guys,

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like Dave will plain wear your butt out! Nice being able to keep up Brian, I am proud of you old man!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good hunt.. looks like a great time.. dead pigs too!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Looks like a lot of fun! Good to see you two enjoying life.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats, Sir and great video as always!

cletus

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video and shooting!

D

djones

..."The hogs are over there and we are over here and so the more time we are over here the less time we can be shooting hogs over there."
i like the way crabs thinks!! often times i'll hunt with someone who just keeps looking at the hogs through their nv when they step out of the vehicle. i ask them if they just want to look or do they want to go shoot some. they say 'shoot' of course and i say... 'then hurry the phuk up!!!!!'

one question... is bisecting the tongue the same as ... 'i blew his freaking tongue off!!!'?

well done zeus & crabs, and spectacular vid too.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i like the way crabs thinks!! often times i'll hunt with someone who just keeps looking at the hogs through their nv when they step out of the vehicle. i ask them if they just want to look or do they want to go shoot some. they say 'shoot' of course and i say... 'then hurry the phuk up!!!!!'

Yes! I get guys that try to come up with some sort of overly complicated Dr. Evil plan and I am Scott telling we need to get our guns and go over there and cap them. I am certain I have watched more hogs slip away from convoluted and well thought out Dr. Evil plans than from Scott plans.

one question... is bisecting the tongue the same as ... 'i blew his freaking tongue off!!!'?

Yeah, I blew off his freaking tongue. Found the carcass at the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society donation center. It would appear that I hit him in the jaw with that shot that blew off the tongue - too much lead.